All wheel drive (AWD)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at ST's there appears to be an AWD option but there is not much on Ford's web site about it. If I understand things correctly it is automatic 4wd, at the cost of low range. my parents have an early expedition that had high, low and AWD. With the AWD on a ST is there a 4 x 2 option or a way to turn off the AWD? sometimes low range is nice for going slow. like a boat launch, or pulling a chevy out of a bad situation. Maybe it is not necessary.

My question is whats the diff between 4hi and 4 low? and in my trac 01 job the 4 hi light will come on but not the 4 low......ive been drivign around in the snow in 4 hi is this ok?

From my understanding, the Adrenalin os the only one with AWD. This is not Automatic 4wd, it is All Wheel Drive. The Automatic 4wd runs 4x2, until the wheels slip. It then will engage the transfer case to put power to the front wheels. You also have 4x4 high and 4x4 low.

An AWD system does not have a 2 speed transfer case.

Tom

hexumjunkie,

To place your vehicle in 4x4 Low, you need your tranny in N and your foot on the brake.

No need to drie in 4x4 low UNLESS you are trying to climb up a very steep hill, down a VERY steep hill, pull stumps, or pull your neighbors Toyota out of a mud puddle. IT IS NOT TO BE DRIVEN ON THE STREET IN 4X4 LOW.

That is what 4x4 high is for.

Tom

IIRC, it is Auto 4x4, 4x4 High, and 4x4 Low. (Essentially the same as 4x2, 4x4 High, and 4x4 Low except that in Auto 4x4, it kicks in the 4x4 system when a wheel slips where 4x2 did not)

The new Adrenalin, from what I read is AWD.

Tom

The Adrenalin is the only one with AWD. Otherwise you get the choice between 2WD or 4WD. If you get the 4WD system then you have lo and hi.

"The Adrenalin is the only one with AWD. Otherwise you get the choice between 2WD or 4WD. If you get the 4WD system then you have lo and hi."

so you do NOT get the auto if the rear wheels spin the 4wd engages option on the selector switch.

what that (auto) ever an option on the ST?

The Auto 4x4 is standard on the 2007 up 4x4 Tracs. It was NEVER an option on the 2001 to 2005 Trac's.

Do you have a Trac?

Tom

no, I only lust for one. I use this board as a motavating tool to get one. Meanwhile I do research to be the best armed to make the deal when the opportunity arrises. I like the idea of the updated independent rear suspension. I like the 07-08 for the stiffer frame. really torn between a 150 and a ST. I do not often need towing or hauling capacity. which pushes me towards the ST (fuel mileage as well) but the ST seems to be almost the price of the 150. then there is parking both in lots and garage space. Mostly gathering information about the options. I have concerns about the 6 speed transmission seems to be many issues with them. the 4.0 is a great motor My father had 2 Rangers (94) they were bought fora business and were sequential SR both ran over 300k without engine trouble. With no appreciable mileage gain/loss going to a V-8 why not. have some Divorce debt to clear up first, but doing research keeps me focused.

thunderslide -

Speaking as an 07 V8 owner, don't forget to consider the MPG a V8 Sport Trac provides over a F-150.

There are MANY POSTS regarding this topic V8 vs V6 - again, the V8 typically gets better gas mileage than the V6 because of the 6 speed tranny.

I LOVE my V8 in every way!

P.S. As you may or may not know, the V8's are only available in the 07 and 08 models.

F-150 is not that much larger than a Trac. Gas mileage is the same between the two. The F-150, IMO, is MUCH better looking. An F-150 can be had much cheaper than a Trac.

If I were in the market for a new truck I would skip out of a Trac and get an F-150.

Tom

I have a co-worker that has a F-150 and was not seeing anywhere near the reported mileage of the ST... that is a concern as I would 95+% be usingit as a comutter not a hauler. I have been going between for a while. I know the V-8 is only avail 07 and up.

what are the transfer case options of the F-150? does it have the auto option?

No auto option on the F-150 that I know of.

What engine does that F-150 have? I am willing to bet it is a 5.4L. You can not compare the two.

Tom

well I am sure it has the 5.4, the question is, would anything less perform as evenly as a ST with a V-8 lots of things to think about. HP/TQ to weight for an apples to apples.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a choice. You want power or fair fuel economy?

I drove a F-150 at work with a 4.2L V6. Not a bad engine. Decent power. I could g3et used to driving it.

Tom

Here, I'll clear this up since I have an '08 (and an '05 before).

The '01-'05 had a conventional transfer case with 4x2, 4x4-High, and 4x4-Low. The '07-'08 has three transfer case positions. 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High, and 4x4 Low. There is no 4x2 or 2wd position. You drive around in 4x4 Auto all the time and basically the front end only kicks in when needed. 4-Hi and 4-Lo are locked in with no differential action in the transfer case. The Auto position can be a little disconcerting in snow and ice until you get used to it. Lots of snow here yesterday and today, yesterday I locked it in 4-Hi. Today I just left it in 4-Auto and got around fine.

F-150 is not that much larger than a Trac. Gas mileage is the same between the two. The F-150, IMO, is MUCH better looking. An F-150 can be had much cheaper than a Trac.

If I were in the market for a new truck I would skip out of a Trac and get an F-150.

Here is my personal experience, I log all my mileage at each fill up. Average US MPG over vehicle lifetime with probably 75% highway miles.

01 ST 4x4 3.73 rear, 16.9 US MPG

03 ST 4x4 4.10 rear, 17.9 US MPG

05 5.4 L V8 F150 4x4 3.73 rear, Supercrew, 15.5 MPG

From reading the F150online.com forums the fuel economy really isn't much better on the 4.2 when compared to the 5.4. Auto 4x4 is available on the Harley Davidson and the Limited versions of the F150.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts