Alternator Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Heya All!

I havent disappeared... I cut my 60% seat down, had it reupholstered, and now I am working on a custom fiberglass box, so ive been absent...

BUT

I have a powermaster alternator due in today or tomorrow... just wondering if I need any special tools or info in replacing it? Its supposed to be direct bolt on, no mods nessessary.

Thanks everyone!

What about the belt... should the other one just slip off the belt, and the new one put the belt over the pully then tighten the bolts?

Chris, if it's a "direct bolt on" the belt should fit fine. Yes slip it off the old one and slip it back on the new one. May be a good time to check and see if it needs replaced while you will already have it off anyway. If it hasn't been replaced yet, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do.;)

You may have to remove your old factory Alt pulley and install it on your new one, That will require an impact gun, You will never do it by hand....

As far as the belt, just move the tensioner and remove it off the old alt, Remove the old one, install the new one and re install the belt..

And yes, disconnect the battery first..

Todd Z