am i driving a diesel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
need some input. 01 4x4 sporttrac. when I pick up spead it sounds like the valves are trying to come through the hood. at least I think it is. how do I know if it is the timing chain. been reading alot about that lately on here.

Changed the oil, used havoline 5w30, seem to quite it for a couple of days. that is why I don't think it is the timing chain.

Also tried 89 instead of 87. not much diff there.

Any ideas on getting this thing to quite down a little?

or the infamous timing chain rattle. My '01 had it BAD. Thought maybe I got a load of bad gas at first, but later on just cranked up the stereo to drown out the rattle.

James, I have the same exact scenario, When I change my oil and put in 5w30 the noise goes away for a while and then comes back after a week or 2

If new oil quiets it down, use Max Life next time. It is not rated Energy Conserving so it's thicker and has a few more goodies mixed into it. That works in my van.

disconnect your battery for apx. 30 minutes and re connect their is a procedure in the owners manual i think in the battery section or as most people do just drive it like normal and it will relearn.