annoying squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 01 sport trac and I have a very annoying squeak that can only be heard with the rear sliding window down, I have a hard tonneau cover, the squeak can be heard on or off. The squeak can be heard with the tail gate up or down and the tailgate extender on or off. Any guesses??? I am stumped.

Could be a shock or a bushing to the sway bar that might need greased?

Could jump on the bumper some and see if its a shock. LOL Don't know if thats a good idea or not. Might be a squeak coming from when going over a bump and the body and bed are flexing. Like does it make the sound when going over a speed bump at a slow speed? Do you notice the notice when going around tight or fairly tight turns? If its just a noise you hear when just coasting down the highway, with no turns, then I have no ideas right now.

Aerosol white lithium grease on the tailgate pivots and latches and WD-40 between the rear spring leaves.

I concur with Coastie and JohnnyO. I get the squeek every year after winter and have to lube the tailgate. Be sure and remove the tailgate and get the hinges there real good. I think the actual culprit is the latch area but it doesn't hurt to hit the hinges.;)

LOL... I don't get the squeak, I was just taking stabs in the dark at some ideas. But I could agree with everyone else, seems like a known problem if so many seem to have it.

You describe exactly what my '04 did. On mine, it was the swaybar end links. There was actually a TSB on the end link gaskets. Mine was replaced under warranty. The new shiny parts on each end of the swaybar in this photo were the culprits in my case.

[Broken External Image]: