Another airbag

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirusc02

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So I’ve seen a lot of airbag errors posted here. I have a 2004 XLT, getting the famous airbag light on dash. Code is 42. Many have said it’s a sensor, clock spring, or bad hounds, so I checked the front crash sensor first. Found the side was split with corrosion. Found a replacement at a junk yard, put it in, cleared codes, light still comes on same code. A different project I replaced the steering wheel and found the clock spring was broken. Replaced it but still code 42.
After all this I used my Autel to go into RCM and checked codes and live data. Surely get B2296 sensor fault, under live data I see the front sensor fault, drivers bucket is unbuckled even when plugged in, and a bracket to ground resistance of 300 ohms. So I picked up a buckle latch first, still not responding.
My final option was check power and ground. I started at the drivers buckle. With key on engine off I have solid ground but power is weak about 0.7 volts with intermittent ground. My first thought was broken wire. Pull the center console and went to the RCM connectors. I know your suppose to disconnect the battery which I did went pulling the connectors, but you need to battery to test voltage. Check power in and ground from main connector with battery connected. Both were fine, so connected and checked the other connector which runs to buckles and sensors. Drivers buckle is green wire and passenger was red/black wire. Check those off the connector and has the same intermittent power/ground. I also check the passenger seat buckle with same result. I check the front crash sensor and it had the same thing. My final check was disconnecting the second harness and testing directly off the pin for the drivers seat. Sure enough I was getting weak power intermittent ground.
With all this I believe my module is bad. It should be putting out 12v to the sensors and buckles correct? Does anyone else have suggestions and also does anyone know how much resistance the front crash sensor is suppose to have? My it testing at 126.8k ohms which seems wrong to me but I’m not sure.

Latest posts