Problem with shift interlock solenoid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Two years ago my Ford dealer pulled the engine on my 2010 4WD V-8 ST to replace the exhaust manifolds. When I picked up the truck and stepped on the brake to put it in gear I heard a very loud click from the shift interlock solenoid in the center console. Tapping and releasing the brake pedal repeated the clicking noise on both press and release. I had never heard this loud click before.

I asked my service advisor to check it out and he agreed it was loud and assured me that they did not touch the transmission but would be happy to inspect the vehicle for anything related to the work they did to the engine. I decided to leave and live with it. The clocking noise continued and not knowing anything about the construction of the solenoid I decided that it was a coincidence and perhaps a felt washer meant to dampen the noise had disintegrated.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and my shift interlock solenoid intermittently started clicking on its own while I was driving, especially when I made left turns. I'm not much of a back yard mechanic but if it might be a simple fix I'll take a stab at doing so rather than paying my dealer to diagnose it.

So I'd like to educate myself about how this unit works and perhaps find a schematic for this part of the electrical system. I'm concerned that there may be a pinched wire or bad connection somewhere.

To be clear, I have not had trouble with it releasing the gearshift from park when I press the brake pedal, just that it seems to be working when it doesn't need to.

1) Does the signal from the brake pedal switch go directly to the solenoid or through a computer module?
2) Could the problem be with the brake pedal switch? If so, I presume I would be able to see the brake lights flicker when the the solenoid is clicking.
3) Once I have shifted out of park, what keeps the brake pedal switch from triggering the solenoid?
3) Could a loose connection in the center console be triggering the solenoid operation?

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts