Another exhaust question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Helstad

Reaction score
Finally, after 4 months and 1 day since I placed the order, my 2010 STA has arrived. I will post pictures after I complete visors etc.

My question is-----I want to modify the exhaust (even at my age 60 I am still a kid) but I do not want to have a steady drone in the cab. I have listened to the clips on this and other sites but I cannot make up my mind. Does anyone who has changed the exhaust on the Gen 2 have a sound clip from inside the cab?

Also looking for the correct part # for either the Magnaflow or others. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Rod

I have a Gen 2 with a Gibson cat-back. Sorry I don't have a sound clip but I can tell you that you can certainly hear it, all the time, and you probably wouldn't like it. Possibly if you have a rear exit exhaust instead of a side exit like the Gibson, it would be quieter.

A lot of folks around here have used either the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow or Super 50 (SUV) muffler and stated they have very little in-cab resonance.

Kits like the Magnaflow typically cost ~$400 or more + labor if you don't do it yourself. Plus, there isn't a direct bolt-on replacement kit for the Gen 2 STA (tailpipe goes straight out back, instead of exiting under driver's rear fender, like on the XLT/Limited).

So any if you want any exhaust mods, they'll have to be done at a custom exhaust shop.

You can probably pick up a muffler like these Flowmasters and have it installed with a new pipe all the way back for ~$250 or less, depending on the shop.

Your noise will also depend on whether or not you replace the muffler and keep the OEM resonator that's just aft of the muffler.

TT is right an the placement. Muffler, far back just before rear axle, less cab drone. Resonator will queit the drone. Others have said they last the performance sound though.

Myself I like the sound on heavy throttle. Not the drone at cruise.