Another Sport Trac or Honda RidgeLine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian b 2

Reaction score
Hi there,

Probably stupid for me to ask this bias question on the ST forum, but I like to know if any ST owner gave thoughts about buying a Ridgeline after owning a ST?

there's a guy I work with that drives the ridgeline, I looked at his, didn't like ANYTHING about it, looks, functionality of accessories, or the ride for that matter, like the ST so much better. and I did all this looking and testing of his before I bought my ST.

Ditto to what Steven said. I have looked at a friend's Ridgeline, and it is just plain not set up to be what my ST is for me. The VERY first observation I had is that with the bed gradually sloping down from the cab to the tailgate, it was virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get anything out of the bed of the Ridgeline if you weren't over 7ft tall with a long reach, or physically getting into the bed to retrieve it. Then, heaven forbid you have the bed loaded down with stuff and need to access one of the compartments in the bed.

Personally, I use the bed of my ST A LOT. The Ridgeline is not set up to multitask like a ST, IMO.

Besides.....Ridgelines are ugly anyway. :lol:

bottom line.........the Ridgeline is a car with a small bed. The ST is a Truck with a small bed. V8 availability, 7000 lb.towing capability, GVWR, frame stifness are all in the truck category. I also don't like the looks of the Honda.

I personally love Hondas (I currently own 4 of them) but the Ridgeline doesn't meet the needs for what I want/need in a truck. It doesn't have the towing capacity of my V8 Trac, and I don't like the look of a cross between a car and a truck. There are other things that I don't like but I'm not trying to Bash the vehicle. I love Honda's longevity and reliability, but the Ridgeline just didn't cut the mustard for what I needed in a truck.:)

Actually, I just ordered an 08 ST about 2 wks ago, and I was all set to buy the Ridgeline. Then I test drove them. Totally different ride. Others already mentioned some of the things that would be on my list which are:

-the bed of the Ridgeline is so high it's difficult to use. The high sidewalls also make it kind of difficult.

-no V8 option for Ridgeline

-visibility is much, much better in the ST

-the Ridgeline has an issue with clearance. The Edmunds test drive talked about the horrendous noises coming from underneath when they took it off road. I heard those horrendous noises going into the dealer driveway (I did not clip the curb--seriously, it scraped over ~2inch step up).

-no MP3 on the Ridgeline unless you get the Nav system

-styling (although I don't think the Ridgeline is awful, I just like the ST better)

About the first order date, one dealer told me they started July 12th. At any rate, you can order now.

ST over RL if you want to use it like a truck. RL if you want a car. We had a fleet of various "trucks" on a trip in CO. All made it up the switchbacks except the RL. The RL trans got too hot. We had to leave it on the side of the mountain until we returned. This made the Suburban owner smile with 185k miles on his ride.

One of my good friends is the F&I manager at a Honda Dealershipand my wife's uncle is the General Sales Mgr at the Ford dealership. I had the opportunity to really look at both and I chose the ST for basically the same reasons mentioned above.

My other car is an Acura MDX, so I considered the Ridgeline when I was looking for something to tow a boat. The Ridgeline handles better than the ST but it is not much to look at, it only comes with a 6 (and it sounds like it) and it's expensive. Even though Japanese vehicles hold their value better than American ones as a percentage of their original purchase price, you pay more for them and the depreciation in terms of an actual dollar amount is about the same.

The Ridgeline is a poor attempt to compete in the limited category the ST falls into. The performance is not there, especially in towing capacity. The interior screams Japanese (a detail I don't care for) and the vehicle is SO UGLY! Get a SportTrac!

Oh yeah? Well only a bunch of ding-a-lings would prefer a ST over a Ridgeline!!!

Screams Japanese??? That's the best part! Are you carzy? Wake up!

:lol:

Dont forget this is the ding-a-lings website :wacko:

I heard somewhere that Honda actually bought Lego because they like their square plastic designs.

:)

Two different vehicles with different styling, among other differences.

SportTrac: Truck-based, for towing and hauling capacity. Ford quality and reliability.

Ridgeline: Car-based for lighter-duty use, better fuel economy. Honda quality and reliability.

Isn't the RL one piece....meaning the bed is actually part of the whole thing? That seems weird to me. The RL seems like a cruck to me....car-truck. Our ST's our pleasant little packages of pure American power & versitility! GO ST!!!:D