Another towing/weight question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
O.K., I've gone through a lot of the towing questions on here over the last couple of years...searched on towing, but I still have questions.

I have an '07 ST, 4x2, V6 with the factory installed class 2 hitch.

I have been towing a popup camper for the last two summers with no problems, but my wife and I are now thinking of upgrading.

A lot of the replies I seen in previous posts elude to the fact that the ST can tow 5,000 pounds, but that is assuming a Class III or IV hitch, no?

I really like a camper that has a tongue weight of 238 pounds and a dry weight of 3200 pounds, while the GVWR is 4400 pounds. How safe or unsafe is it using the class II hitch?

The same manufacturer also makes one that has a tongue weight of 352 pounds, dry weight of 2800 pounds and GVWR of 3800 pounds. I don't like this model as much, it is 600 pounds lighter.

I am really second guessing buying the ST with the hitch installed as it seems that it may be limiting me. Any thoughts on the weight issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna be disapointed if you try and get a class lll/lV hitch in there. Ford seems to have welded the hitch to the frame, making it very difficult(and expensive) to remove and install a new one. You are probably are just going to follow the instructions in the manual. Good luck. ;)

Yeah...I know I am not going to be able to switch hitches, so I was wondering how safe/unsafe it is if I went over the recommended weight by 300-900 pounds? This would be assuming I put that much weight in the camper, which I probably would not. I am thinking more along the lines of 300-400 pounds over, tops.

I had the same scenario - what a PITA!

They had to remove the back bumper, cut of the original hitch, weld a new one on. The hitch alone cost $1,100 plus the labor for the work.

I have seen explorers with the factory hitch and a bolt on class 3 hitch located underneath it, yea two hitches(some may find it silly) but it will work. I cant speak from experience or certainty but you should look into it.

CHRIS

Chris,

Thanks for that piece of info...I guess I just assumed that the old one would have to be replaced. But, I looked at hitches and you can get them to fit underneath the existing hitch!

I feel much better now!

Thanks.

I have seen explorers with the factory hitch and a bolt on class 3 hitch located underneath it, yea two hitches(some may find it silly) but it will work. I cant speak from experience or certainty but you should look into it.

My guess is that the Explorers you've seen - the hitch were built into the bumpers. The ST (07 and up) they are under the bumpers. If I did that on my 07, the hitch would be waaaay too low. I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, I don't think the truck is designed for another hitch bolted to the existing frame. They are integrated.

If you need a class 3/4 hitch, do it right. It'll cost you but it won't look like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will pursue the second hitch first, I just can't justify spending the money to have the hitch cutoff and a new one added...I think I would trade it in first, before dropping the money.

A question, why would ford integrate the 1 1/4" hitch? I mean, you have a vehicle that can tow 5000+ pounds, but they are limiting people to 3500???

A question, why would ford integrate the 1 1/4" hitch? I mean, you have a vehicle that can tow 5000+ pounds, but they are limiting people to 3500???

So they can "Give" you a hitch as stock equipment and sell you an upgrade for $295.00.

You might try to contact Coastiejoe and see if he can locate a 2007 up Trac at a yard. Cut off the class III/IV hitch and have a weld shop install it.

Tom

Does the extra 3/4" of an inch really cost them that much to add in as a base feature?

Screwing the ultimate consumers over just to get 300 bucks sounds like something from a Moore movie...sadly, I can believe it, but I'll convince mahself that Ford is above that.

Why integrate the hitch in the first place? It doesn't seem to offer any towing capacity increase.

If they want to limit you to force you to buy the hitch, I'm surprised they gave you any hitch and not just an equal-capacity bumper ball :(

It adds structural integrity to the frame.

I have been doing research this morning and that seems to be the reason. But, why not just give the class 3 hitch to begin with? Who the heck are they to determine that 3500 pounds is good enough? Why advertise 5000 pound towing capacity and then limit me.

Another question, if the upgrade was $300, was that for removing and rewelding a new hitch? Or is there some sort of retrofit package out there from the dealer?

Another question, if the upgrade was $300, was that for removing and rewelding a new hitch? Or is there some sort of retrofit package out there from the dealer?

Came from production with the hitch installed. Most salesman don't even know it's a frame rail. I ordered my truck to get the Class III/IV hitch since no dealer in S. Florida typically will. They will up-grade trim packages, but not the hitch.

I happen to agree it should be standard equipment, especially with the V8.

Funny that you're cheated on a stock hitch on a Gen 2, but on the Gen 1 we are given 3 more catalytic converters than we actually need...