ANOTHER Transmission Q

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I had my transmission rebuit... I do not beleive they ever changed the solenoid, and I still get the 2-3 flair... my question is, if I have them do the solenoid, is that the end of my problems for good? Or does this solenoid go bad all the time???

I am gearing up for a supercharger, and I need this thing in 100% working order before I do...

Can be a weak link, depends what else they did not do...

Change the solenoids and up the epc pressure , add on a deep pan and better cooler, than take it from there..

Todd Z

Chris,

If you drive a lot with the 2-3 shift flare on the rebuilt transmission, you will burn up the new clutches and bands that have just been replaced!

If you took your Sport Trac in to have the 2-3 flare fixed and they did not fix the problem with the rebuilt transmission, I would take it back. They charged you for a rebuilt transmission that did not fix the problem !!!

The real tragedy is that It probably only needed to have the Valvebody and solenoids replaced which typically cost about $450-$500. At leas that should have been attempted first before resorting to a a rebuild, and then not change out the valvebody and solenoids!

Who ever did that deserves to be sued!

...Rich

When I had my 2001 Trac, the transmission was replaced under warranty with a remanufactured unit because of the 2-3 shift flare. The replacement had the same exact problem.

Chris - there's a .pdf file in my library that explains the common cause of the 2-3 flare. As RichL said, it's a solenoid issue that affects the timing of the shift. Print it out and take it with you to the shop.

This worries me.. I have a 2001 trac 4x4 w/ 4.10. All these trans problems have been occuring. I recently did a pan drop/filter change on my trans and did the epc adjust. I haven't experienced this 2-3 flair, but I am going on a very long road trip in a few months and I don't want a trans problem to ruin my vacation this year.

I have 106,00 kilometres on my trac.. should I be expecting problems soon? what can i do to prevent any costly repairs? :(

Adam you don't have the flair because of the EPC adjust, that will cure it 50% of the time...

Just do regular maintenance to the trans and you should be fine..

I have had two Sport Trac's over the past nearly 6 years and have not had a transmission problem with either the 2001 Job-1 or the 2003 that I drive now and I have never adjusted the epc for higher shift pressures.

If you start getting symptoms of slipping during shifts, I would definely do the epc adjustment.

The fact is, a lot of Sport Trac's have slipping problems and a lot do not?

The problem is caused by the solenoid operated valve in the valvebody sticking. When any of the valves stick, it causes a delay in releasing the bands and clutches for one gear but there is a partial pressure drop and this causes the bands and clutches to slip. As soon as the solenoid is released, the next solenoid is activated to shift into the next gear. The extra strain releasing the valves causes excessive stress on the electric solenoids and they become even weaker or die all together. The higher epc pressure can assist the solenoid while releasing the sticking valves, but the best cure is to avoid the sticky valves in the first place.

I personally think there is some formula problem with the Mercon-V tranny fluid even if Ford will not admit it. I think switching to a 100% synthetic Mercon-V may be the best alternative to combating the sticking valves. Mercon-V from Ford is only a semi-synthetic and I don't think it's up to the job. Something in Ford's Mercon-V is not tolerating the heat generated by the transmission and is creating a sticky varnish in the valvebody. I don't think full synthetic will do that. There are several brands of 100% synthetic Mercon-V fluids, Royal Purple is a good one.

...Rich

Well, Its back at the mechanic today, and I printed out that PDF posted above... They have looked this thing 100x to see what the problem is, and still never fix it.

Today was my last straw, I told them if its not fixed this time I would like my money back and I will find someone who can....

This PDF explains it in good detail, he says he "HAS IT" but if he did, im sure I wouldnt get this problem as soon as I got it back.

Its more frusterating than anything.... the inconveniece of having my wife pick me up, not having a vehicle for 2 days at a time 4 times now I think it is.

I love my ST, why does it have to be so mean to me! :)

Makes me wonder, you see old junker cars driving around on thier original trannys, how the !@#! can ours be dead in less than 100k???

If I could meet the person that accepted this transmission in the ST, id seriously punch him in the head for all the troubles its giving me.

I guess my only other question now is...

Since I had it rebuilt... I mentioned this solenoid to them before the first time I took it in there.... NOW it looks like it will be replaced, as it doesnt seen to have been in the rebuild.... should I be paying anything for this??? I can see MAYBE paying for hte solenoid, but any labour should not be charged, as it would have been a walk in the park when they had the thing apart for the rebuild...?

What is the solenoid worth anyways? Is this something I could have installed myself with a little work?

FRUSTERATEDLY YOURS,

Rebuilding a tranny and not replacing the solenoid pack is like rebuilding an engine and putting back on the old belts and hoses...it makes no sense.

I would first verify that they didn't replace the solenoid pack, and if they didn't, ask them why, then lobby for it to be replaced now at a cost of parts only.

TJR

unfortunately when you rebuild something and not re manufacturer it, they can and will use ANY old parts that are ok in their book. Technically if the solenoid fails and it was not replaced during the rebuild, they should cover it...

As far as the engine reference above, That is done all the time and is actually normal practice.. It is scary to say the least, and then people blame the engine shop when the motor gets a hose leak and blows up and it is NOT covered...

Todd Z

Chris,

If you brought it in because of the 2-3 shift flare and after the rebuild, they failed to replace the valvebody and solenoids, then there should be no charge for the rebuilt transmission since that did not cure the problem. Had they replaced the solenoids and valvebody in the first place, it may have fixed the problem without the need to rebuild the tranny.

Any time a mechanic or shop tells you that your vehicle needs a rebuild what ever, be sure you clarify that you only want the problem fixed and if the new what part does not fix the problem you are not paying for it or the labor to install it!

When your engine is running poorly, the old ploy was to ask the customer if they wanted a tune-up. If the customer agree, they would do a tune-up, charge the customer about $100 bucks but the vehicle still ran as bad as it did before. If you object to the Tune-up, they will say that you agreed to the tune-up and there was no guarantee that it would fix the problem.

If you tell them up front and write on the service order that you want the problem fixed and if they do something that does not resolve the problem, you are not paying for that repair. And that will stand up in court!

...Rich

...Rich

Well I know it did need to be rebuilt... I got the OD light flasing, the flair wasnt too evident, but it was there, gradually getting worse... this is MY fault that it needed to be rebuilt, but at the same time I told them about the flair, which was the final problem happening to cause my tranny to fail...

I dont think I will end up in court, but this is thier last wack at it... I will then persue some sort of refund, or the money back to repair the transmission at the dealer.

As I had stated in earlier threads we have 15 company vehicles we take here, and I am in control of where they go. I will tell him today if I get it back and find its not fixed it will be a permanent decision of mine not to take the vehicles back to him.

The sad part of it all is, the mechanic is not the person who fixed it, he took it to 'his tranmission guy' but he is still liable in my eyes and everyone elses eyes to be responsible for having it repaired properly.... so unfortunately he will pay the price in the end.

I have my fingers crossed, I really hope they get it done this time.

I got my truck back today...

They replaced the solenoid, because when they tested the original one, it tested ok they said, but replaced it anyways, and my shift cable --- FREE.

It seems a lot better now, im excited and happy that they honored thier work and made it right.

I do however notice a very, very slight engine flare 2-3... Is this common even on repaired tranny's? I have only noticed it once in about 3hrs of driving non-stop during my test run....

I am going to order the flasher from WFoy today or monday I guess... will this help?

Thanks all!

Chris,

If all they replaced was a soleniod, they did not do everything needed. If they did not repalce the Valvebody, the sticky varnish deposits are probably still there. The new solenoid is still trying to activate the valves in the valvebody, but the stick varnish is causing excessive drag. That will gradually weaken the new solenoid and you will be back to square one. They need to replace the valvebody as well as the solenoids..they go together hand in hand.

...Rich