Antenna Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I would like to switch out my stock radio antenna for a newer one. I would like to use one of a newer car ex: a new focus or something similar I like how they look on top of the car. My question is how hard will it be and will I still get regular FREE radio?

Im no expert. But there was a time that the hieght of the anttenna itself, had to do with range and some AM stations.

It had to do with the radio electronics. That may not be so now. Stock anttenas dont bother me in looks. But Im old and used to it...LOL

Yep, the older radios had a means to "tune" in the AM stations and it was affected by the antenna.

That said, the newer radios are to advanced i would imagine this is done digitally (automatically).

You have three basic kinds of "car radio" antenna these days. One is to pick up terrestrial broadcasts from the AM/MW (~1MHz) and FM/VHF (~100MHz) broadcast bands. The next is to pick up satellite signals for GPS navigation and/or Sirius/XM radio services. Finally there's the cellular antenna that services like OnStar use.

The satellite signals use a very short wavelength, so their antenna can be made quite small, often just a small patch glued to the roof. This works well because they need to look up at the sky. The other two need to look sideways, which means they need to stick out more. Those fin-like things that many new cars have the GPS, OnStar and Sirius/XM antennas in one package.

The old AM/FM broadcasters use much longer wavelengths compared to the satellite services. The FM wavelength is short enough that it's possible to put an optimal tuned antenna for that band on your car. The problem is that it would be bigger than most people want. AM...forget about getting ideal reception from a car.

These days many car antennas use a spiral wire wrapped around a fiberglass core, then dipped in a sealant. That spiral shape makes the antenna seem longer than it is, for better FM reception. And with careful tuning inside the radio, a fairly decent AM signal can be had. IME this kind of antenna relies on circuits inside the factory radio for best reception.

Personally I wouldn't put a stick antenna on top of an Explorer cab. I replaced my stock AM/FM antenna with a "shorty" version because I got tired of the original hitting things in parking garages. I wouldn't want to drill a hole for the new antenna, especially if it's only for cosmetics. I use 2-way radios, and I'm still using the magnet mounts because I can't bring myself to take the leap.

After doing all that work, you might not like the reception that the "euro-look" antenna gives. If you have your heart set on it, have a car radio shop do the work, and make it their problem if it doesn't work well.

I shortened my stock antenna to approx 18" (removed the ball, cut the antenna, replaced the ball). I noticed no difference in reception afterwards. The mod was for appearance only.