antifrezze leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAUL AGUILAR

Reaction score
hello,

Just noticed my 04 st leaking coolant up by the intake.....

i thought it would be the plenum intake gasket or upper intake gasket like in my camaro but it seems like no coolant even goes in those gaskets.

is there anywhere else that it could leak up there?

please help.

Thanks.

Magz

Wow, quick draw Eddie! Beat me by a minute. :fire:

Very likely culprit is the lower thermostat housing splitting at it's seams.

Pull off the throttle body cover and and inspect with a light and mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be two sensors. Physically look, chances are there is only one harness plug.

If so, use the single RH148 housing and buy a new DY1004 ECT sensor. No sense in

buying the other sender to plug a hole. The old sensors won't seal in the new housing.

Don't forget to buy the two o-ring seals, thermostat, and bypass hose if needed. GL

[Broken External Image]:

yep it was the one sensor housing............got the two because thats the one that was on the instructions.........have to go back to dealer tomorrow to get the one with one sensor hole......

for future reference 04 st uses the one sensor housing..... the two sensor must be for exploreres ???

I know the two sensor housing was used on the earlier ST's. I read a thread

somewhere that it's used on non flex fuel models. Return the two port (RH144)

and get the single port (RH148) housing, along with the DY1004 ECT sensor, and

the lower and upper housing seals. Be careful with the three guide tabs on the

lower housing, and if available, use a right angle plier for the bypass hose clamps.

The sensors are a compression type seal that uses a donut shaped o-ring.

Problem is the sealing edge gets deformed and flattened. I've never heard of

anyone reusing the old sensors without leaking. I searched for replacement o-rings

without success. Also tried silicone RTV, but they both seeped after a few months.

If you don't have the new ECT sensor, it would be a good idea to have it on hand.

P.S- Sensor price ranges from $20-$35 each. :angry:

Thanks for all the help.

guess I have to hit the dealer again tommorow, to keep this baby on the road

This site and its people have always been a great help.

:supercool:

I did this R&R three times learning from my stupid past mistakes. :banghead:

Keep us posted on your progress or if you have any questions. GL

I just did this today and the instructions helped big time..mine was the single sensor but had to get a new o ring for the temp sensor because the old one didn't have a snug fit on the new housing. The giy also said they hardley ever go bad. I also checked my old thermostat and it was good so i dont really know what caused mine to break but he also said thats what they are made to do. I also replaced all hoses got them from Napa for 54$

cool...........I just put mine together and all went well......

took it for a test drive and it seems that im goog to go.....

thanks again.

Well done. Not considered an easy repair, labor alone is usually a minimum of $200. :banana: