Any Aviation maintenance people on this site?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
I am about to retire from the Army and I am ( you guessed it) looking for a Job. I am an A&P mechanic, with 20 years of helicopter maintenance experience. I am willing to relocate. Just let me know if you hear of any openings.

:( With this economy I will need all the help I can get! Thanks!

Help a member keep his Trac!!!:lol:

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my A&P for 30+ years now SFC. Been transplanted in ICT for that many years as well. We have Cessna, LearJet, Beech, Boeing, Spirit AeroSystems and Airbus here. Used to have Piaggio and Eclipse but...

Hate to say though, at this time, all companies, with exception to Spirit, have been handing out WARN notices for the past several months and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

I've been here in the "Air Capital" long enough now to not have to worry about a layoff. I know that it doesn't help you immediately, BUT, one ray of hope I can offer you is to put a resume in with Spirit AeroSystems (former Boeing Wichita). Their biggest customer is still Boeing and they have not yet announced a layoff.

BTW, all of these manufacturing companies have repair stations and as far as I know, are looking for a slim number of qualified persons.

Good luck man...

Last edited by a moderator:
Send your resume to all the big airline companies, I would think someone is in need of an individual with your knowledge...

Good thought Caostie but, EVERY one of them have reduced personell and with the capacity cutbacks they're projecting, I would think it would be a futile effort.

Now if those airlines were to receive ANOTHER bailout, they may start looking for a few good non-union persons!!!

So what do you think about the new Administration wanting to take away guns from pilots??? Or has it already begun?

Rhetorical question really. Not expecting a reply...

:wacko:

Thanks for the tips guys, I have sent my resume and applications to at least a hundred places. I got about 5 phone calls back but nothing solid. Most of the Airlines want commercial aircraft experience. Gonna keep at it!

I was an FAA repairman doing NDT on aircraft.

You best bet is getting on with corporate jets. Much better than the big guys.

Times are hard right now. Good luck. I have been out of it too long to give you any names.

Tom

The Border Patrol hires Helo mechs all the time here in AZ. I'm in the Air Force, working HH60s, and they hire our engine mechs and crew chiefs all the time. Try the below website for jobs.

http://www.borderpatrol.gov/transitioning_military.html

jason

I looked at the border patrol, they contract out their helo maintenance and I haven't seen any job postings. As for corporate aircraft. I've been checking with Golfstream, here in town, and so far they don''t have any openings. I think they let a bunch of part timers go. I'll keep looking.

I know Kansas is most likely to not be on anyones top 5 places to move but, There are lost of aviation related companies here. If anythig, might find a fill in job for the meantime while gaining experience until the market pick up again.

Keep an eye on these listings. Even if the locals are in reduction mode, there are always countrywide ads in the classifides trying to take away from the local talent pool.

Unless you hate the Army, you might want to delay your retirement until the economy improves...

Dave S. Thanks for the tips.

Les, I don't hate the Army actually it's quite the opposite. It's not an option now, the paperwork's done and there's no looking back. I want to get out while I'm still "young" (39). It does open some options such as Border Patrol which has an age cutoff of 40.

If I was to stay in the Army, with all the deployments, most likely my service would be extended another 4 to 6 years and then I would be where I am now but older. Yes, by then the economy might be better but it could also be worse.

It's just time to go...

Thanks for your service ED. How many years you been in? Have you thought about staying in longer? Maybe in a few years the civilian jobs will come back.

Hey SFC, Thank you for your service!

Have you considered Sikorsky in Connecticut? here's a link to their jobs pages.....

http://www.indeed.com/q-Sikorsky-l-Stratford,-CT-jobs.html

Good Luck in your employment hunt.

Bob A.

P.S. also an old vet who taught Avionic Maintenance for Helicopters way back when.....

Thanks for all the leads guys.

Plymbob, I did apply for a couple of jobs with Sikorski. They also want specific airframe experience.

Looks like a lot of sleepless nights coming my way... Not complaining, I know I'm not the only one on this boat. I'll keep trying, something will work out.

Latest posts