Any Chevy mechanics here?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
I've come across a good deal for a van for my wife, and it almost seems too good to be true. The guy says he just completed a whole crap load of work on it at a dealership, so I asked him for the VIN to prove it (I BS'ed and said I knew someone at Chevy who would verify the VIN and the work done). He gave it to me. Any chance anyone can run this VIN and tell me the work that was done on it?

1GNDU03E04D210780

Also a carfax would be great if anyone has access to it.

Many thanks in advance.

you mention van , if it is a 1st gen equinox, BE CAREFUL .

without running the carfax,

why did it have a whole crap of work done and what was it?

A "one time" CarFax report may save you a lot of grief.

Many here will agree, auto reports are vague, at best.

Best method is still hiring an ASE certified mechanic, for inspection.

By the way, you didn't mention the asking price.

As Mom always told us, "if it sounds too good to be true ...

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is an Astro van, pass on it. Every one I know, including my brother. Continuosly dumped $$ into them. Name a problem they probably had it. I think the gmc version is the safari..

Eddie,

My brother-in-law has an Astro. Has about 230,000 miles on it. Original Engine. Original tranny. Still runs awesome. The chassis is crap and the cheap Toyota like interior iritates me,but it runs awesome.

Tom

Tom,

That is unusual for the folks I know. I agree with you on the interior. My brothers sqeeked and rattled from day one. Plastic peices chiped and scratched easy..

Only reason he put 200K on it. Was it was cheaper to fix than replace. They dont make much $$$..Now his wife drives an '08 jeep liberty thats falling apart.

Agree with Caymen, I used these in a business I owned for a number of years. Could take a beating and keep on ticking. These are not your family type vehicles, but they are great as work horses.

Eddie,

Just about any vehicle is cheaper to fix than replace.

The 4.3 v6 GM makes is one very reliable engine. Every one I have been had a funny idle, but still ran. I have personally seen 6 4.3 engines still running reliably after 200,000+ miles. While the cheap plastic interior was rattled and broken, the seats uncomfortable, odd sitting positions (sit in the front passenger seat of an Astro van and you will understand what I am saying), loose frame, etc.

The drivetrain was as solid as they get.

Tom

The only way the vin is going to tell you what work was done to it is if the work was done under factory warranty. The dealership the work was done at will have a record but it will not be in the GM database.

The 3.4 in the Venture is a pretty solid motor. Main issue with the engine is the intake manifold gaskets. the venture still uses the old style manifold and they are very prone to leaking. Fel-Pro makes a gasket for them that eliminates the issue. Another thing, where the intake meets the cylinder head there is a dead end coolant passage on the right rear corner and the left front corner, the Dexcool sits there and turns into something not of this planet and then eats away the intake manifold and on occassion eats away the cylinder heads to the point that replacement is needed.

Other than that the only thing I can think of mechanical on the Ventures is the power sliding doors...have had enough issues with those.

Now the interior is another story, not very durable IMO.

I guess I was a little vague. I appreciate the comments.

It's an 04 Chevy Venture, with 95,000KM on it. Guy said he had a major issue with the engine and had it repaired under warranty. Was just looking about carfax to see if it had been involved in a accident or was previously a write off and put back on the road. The guy is new to Canada, so i'm having a hard time understanding him. I've seen the van, and it's in minty shape (ext, int are both in very nice shape, no smells, clear exhaust, no leaks)

He's asking 3000, so i'm just trying to protect my investment.

BTW, the intake issue was corrected in 04. I have an 03 Montana and it required the repair.

Thanks again.

FFS,

You already have experience with that vehicle platform. That is a very good thing. You already know what to expect.

Tom

That I do, and that's why I jumped at this when I saw it. But having experience won't help me find out if there were any accidents or major warranty work done. Always helps to throw out a request for help on here. This group is the best online forum for a vehicle that I have ever seen. Thank God I own a Trac and found this! The GM forums i'm joined with are just a bunch of meatheads. lol.

But having experience won't help me find out if there were any accidents or major warranty work done.

As for an accident, that is a crap shoot. Would you rather have a vehicle that was hit really bad and repaired the right way or a minor accident and was fixed wrong?

As for Carfax, My wife, before she was my wife, wrecked her Grand Am within $500.00 of a total loss.The rear half of the vehicle was replaced including the rear axle. She had the choice to total it, but due to financial reasons, she had it repaired. Carfax NEVER had a report of the accident. This was over $12,000 in repairs on a Grand Am.

Carfax is not accurate by any means. A good body shop could tell you if it has been wrecked.

Tom

Tom, Maybe the Astro vans up north are built better..LOL

Every one I know had too many mechanical problems. My brothers had 2 trans replacements 55K and 130K, one trans repair at 10k. The heads droped valves 2 times. The exhaust fell off at 20K. The throtle body at 35K replaced. Injectors at 80K. spider gears shortly after. Continous cooling system leaks, name a part it failed. The HVAC contoler 2 times. Seats were falling apart before 100K. Had the dutch rear door. Never could get the leak stoped.

I admit he had more problems than the 2 other people I know. All of them wish they had never bought one. They all had major mechanical out of warranty.

I just remembered my ex- B-inlaw left one in england that was 4 yrs old. He was in the AF couldnt get the major parts he needed. It sat for the last 8 months of his 3yr tour. I think he spld it as scrap. Instead of shipping it home.

As I said, the ones shiped to Texas must be lemons...LOL

FFS

Do you mean the intake was repaired on the one you are looking at already or GM solved the issue in 04.

GM redesigned the intake in 05 or 06, the 2004 intake is still the same old one with the same faulty gasket setup.

I1tech.

My 03 Montana had the issue repaired. All documentation I can find says that the 04 + up models have the intake issue resolved.

"He also indicated there will be no voluntary recall of affected vehicles.

"GM does not plan to issue any type of goodwill action regarding the intake manifold gasket situation."

GM vehicles potentially affected (source: GM Technical Service Bulletins):

1995-1997 Buick Riviera

1995-1998/2000-2003 Buick LeSabre

1995-1998/2000-2003 Buick Park Avenue

1996-1998/2000-2003 Buick Regal

2000-2003 Buck Century

2002-2003 Buick Rendezvous

1996/1998-2001 Chevrolet Lumina

1998-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1997-2003 Chevrolet Venture

1999-2003 Chevrolet Malibu

2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala

1995-1998 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1995-1998 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

1996-2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero

1995-1998/2000-2003 Pontiac Bonneville

1997-1998/2000-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

1996-1999 Pontiac Trans Sport

1999-2003 Pontiac Grand Am

1999-2003 Pontiac Montana

2001-2003 Pontiac Aztec

General Motors Canada encourages any of their customers to contact their Customer Communications Centre at 1-800-263-3777 if they have questions regarding their vehicle or service needs.

"

Latest posts