Any Pit Bull Owners?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
So friday night I ended up getting a gorgeous blue pit bull puppy. 10 weeks old. Came with a big kennel for her, toys, food, everything. I've had dogs all my life. I grew up around dobies, I personally had a german shephard/pit bull mix, siberian husky, and a rottweiler.

I've never owned a pure bred pit bull. I got her for free, the people who had her found out they were pregnant and decided they didnt want to raise a puppy and a baby, so they were giving her away, I quickly jumped at that opportunity. I miss having a dog. I left my huskie in wisconsin with my ex because I didnt want to put him through the stress of another flight.

So any owners out there that has any advice? I know that Pit Bulls are dog-aggressive. How can this be broken? I dont want her to start fights, and I know most pit bulls arent instigators, but I dont want to her to cower away either.

I plan on socializing her a lot, and getting her into obedience classes. Right now she's staying with me at my girlfriends house. She has a 90lb rottie, and a 79lb Greyhound/Great Dane mix. She got put in her place by the great dane pretty quickly. She now submits to him after getting attacked and bit on the ear. Before that happened, if he pissed her off she would go full force at him ferociously.

Any tips, I know the falsely accused pit bull reputation, and I know it's not true. I just want a dog that I can take along wherever I can go, and isnt going to instigate fights. My girlfriend and I take her dogs to the beach all the time, and they are off leash trained.

[Broken External Image]:

I had one for a few months, I had to get rid of it after it attacked my birds. It was an easy choice, really, free dog, or $120 worth of birds, one of which is dead?

Anyway, pit bulls like to chew on things...so make sure she has plenty of tows she can chew. She'll still want to chew things she's not supposed to, scolding her will help with that. As with other aggressive breeds, you have to be a bit more stern in discipline with these dogs. They are very, very strong, with massive jaw muscles. So just keep that in mind should she every start to get aggressive. Get her in obedience school ASAP, get her trained to where she will follow your commands, important for aggressive, strong breeds.

They are pretty good dogs though, very protective of thier property and family, so introduce new folks to her with caution, and with you around. Of course, different personalities in different dogs will play a big part here. Take your time with them, but don't be afraid to tell them a a good stern no.

Two of our nieghbors pit bulls, somehow got into our fence. They tore through our screened in porch and rip our cat to shreds. The cat was napping.

I made a vow that if anymore pitbulls come into my yard, they will see Mr. 44mag.

I will deal with it,,sorry about that to PB owners, JMO you cant trust them....:angry:

they are like any other dogs....if you train them and take care of them they will be good if you neglect them amd beat and abuse them they will be nasty. i have a pitbull mix with a beagle. looks like a beagle on steroids. i have 2 friends with pits and they are the most gentle and docile dogs i have ever met. they are very well trained. so good luck with everything.

paul by the way shes beautiful

DID some one say Pit Bull ???? :lol:

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Two words for you: Socialization & Training.

Start now!!!

I have known many pits some great ones and some horrible ones. The difference was not the dogs it was the owners. It is up to you how this dog turns out. I have trained pits and many other dogs of various breeds over the years they are good dogs when owned/handled by the right people.

pitbull mix with a beagle

LOL. As a former Beagle owner I'd love to see a picture of your dog paul h. Beagles are the most non-agrresive dog there is so I'd think you have a good combination.

I love Pit bulls and Bull Terriers owned 2 (pit bulls) If raised and trained right, they are loving, loyal and great family dogs.

Many communities require you to keep a pit bull behing a 8 foot fence or wearing a muzzle when not behind the fence while in public. Also, many communities also require the owner to keep a $1 million dollar insurance in case the Pit Bull decides to become agressive and kill or hurt someone.

You really need to think this through before you become attached to a liability. I have killed one dog in the past. A knife through the chest and into the heart saved a puppy the Pit Bull was trying to kill. It felt so good to do it.

Tom

Kansas City, KS has a ban on all Pit Bulls.

Yes, upbringing is important, but the dogs are bred to be aggressive. A friend had one he had to shoot-- it was fine and loveable until it turned 8 months old and then became extremely aggressive.

I would have no problem putting down a viscious dog who was harming another person or my property.

Paul H's dog tucker is a cool as hell dog...... It is weird to see a dog with that much energy looking like the pit.... LOL

Todd Z

Hey I own 4 pit bulls right now...... and a border collie.... My pit bulls are the sweetest dogs in the world but the will bark at any dog or person they dont know through the window of my house... But they have never gotten into a fight with another dog besides playful fighting with each other... So if you dont want your pit to be aggresive just make sure you treat yours good. Most of the pits you hear about on the news are ones that grew up in a bad environment.. So make sure to treat it right and play with it.. It will become the sweetest dog in the world. But all dogs like to bark and be obnoxious when they see other dogs... Another thing you might wanna get done is take him/her to a dog obedience school... That will help a lot too... So if you have any questions feel free to ask... ttyl...

You might also want to check with your county/city. Many require that you register any aggresive breed dogs. Here in Orlando, I think it costs a couple hundred bucks. Check to make sure you don't need any permits to own one. It may save you financiall if, heaven forbid, something happens and the dog acts on aggression.

Regardless, best of luck with you and your new pup. Being someone who has been bitten by a family pit bull mix, please heed the warnings of everyone about socialization and training. You sound like you have a pretty good handle on what is needed though.

:)

My community requires special permit and that you carry specific insurance on Pit Bulls.

Statistically it has been shown that they can be mean for no apparent reason. When this happens, they can create severe damage up to death. They are so tuff and strong and simply don't let get when they don't want to.

That said, I have a friend who has one and he is the nicest dog I know. I am a STRONG believer in how they are raise will create their temperament. So plenty of attention and love and you will more than likely be fine.

No doubt pit bulls are more aggressive then other breeds. Pit bulls probably need a little more attention then other dogs. If your one of those a-hole dog owners that just throws your dog out in the backyard, never work with it, never give it any affection, then a pit bull is not for you (or any other dog for that matter). I personally believe when a dog gets out of control the owners should be dragged out and shot, not the dog.

I already signed her up puppy training starts next week. I took her into petsmart and people told me start training at 12 weeks. The trainers said start now with a pit bull. I plan on giving her much attention and play. I plan on taking her to the dog park and beach couple times a week, especially as a puppy right now.

She shows aggression, but she is submitting to buster, the dog she is playing with. She'll run to me if the rottie and great dane gang up on her. Or just roll on her back and submit.

My dogs always have been, and always will be inside dogs.

Almost any dog breed can be aggressive. Unfortunately, Pit Bulls, when triggered into attack, have trouble returning to normal mode. That, in combination with the fierce biting power, has resulted in some tragedies.

Breeds have specific traits. Pit Bulls were bred for fighting other animals. Just as it's hard for a Labrador Retriever to not chase a bird or a ball, it is impossible for Pit Bulls to overcome their fighting instinct with 100% assurance. Which is why people get badly mauled by Pit Bulls more than other breeds. Basic genetics. Hard to ignore what you are designed to do.

So, if you choose to be a Pit Bull owner, you need to realize, no matter how sweet your dog is, there are hundreds of generations of fighting aggression built into that DNA. Nobody knows with absolute certainty what might unlock those traits for a given animal. So, you have to treat it with respect for what kind of damage it can do if things go bad.

In all honesty, I wouldn't let me son play at a home with an unsupervised Pit Bull any more than I would let him play at a house where loaded guns were accessible to kids.

In the words of the Dog Whisperer "exercise, discipline, affection in that order". You need to show the pit that you are the pack leader and that she is a follower. I have read his book "Cesar's Way" and watched his show on the National Geograpic Channel, to me, the way he explains things just makes alot of sense. If you have a Barnes and Noble close, you may want to get a cup of coffee, find a comfortable chair and read some of the book.

We have a wonderful Boxer, he is everything you could ever want in a dog. After talking about it for about a year we decided to get another one so he would have a companion and another dog to play with. She was a handful from day one and just the oppisite of him, very high energy, very hard headed and was a bully. We were at the end of our rope not knowing what to do with her when I started watching him and read his book. It took some convincing but my husband and sons finally agreed to give it a try. We started using the "excersie, discipline then affection and some of the other techniques that he talks about. It took alot of discipline on our part to carry thourgh and pracitice these things every day, but we did and it really paid off. We now have 2 wonderful Boxers that anyone could be proud of.

Personally I do not like pit bulls, two of them killed a friends poodle and another one attacked a mastiff in the neighborhood, but any breed of dog can go "bad". It does depend on how they are raised and trained at a young age. It sounds as if you are on the right trac with the training and all, but remember to be a resposible owner and never leave it unsupervised, just like Rich said you never know what may trigger the aggresion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same opinion here- it all comes down to training, but you also have to realize that you've got a potentially dangerous animal on your hands. If a Pug gets pissed off and attacks your neighbor, all you get is a cold shoulder at the next block party. With a Pit Bull, you're likely to get sued if not worse.

Latest posts