Anybody heard of ebay escrow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Upton

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a couple 4 wheelers. They are in cleveland ohio and i am in new hampshire. The woman states she wants to use ebay escrow if we make a transaction. I cannot find this on ebays sight. Im thinking it may be a scam?? The price is really good for 2 atvs and a trailer delivered but i am having my doubts. Anybody heard of this or used this service? Thanks all Jim

Do not buy anything that is a big ticket item on eBay, especially across state lines without seeing the item in person (or having someone trusted seeing it) and then don't do funny escrow things. Most that sell larger items like cars, etc, on eBay will take a deposit via paypal, then the remainder of payment on pickup. Don't fall for shipping scams, don't fall for people claiming to be active duty stationed overseas with their car in storage near a a port in the states waiting for shipping.

If this is truly legit and if they are willing to deliver to you, then they would be willing to take modest deposit in paypal then the rest on delivery. Even then, I wouldn't do it without EXTREME caution, a high eBay seller rating, phone calls, etc. Probably wouldn't do it then. I just don't trust people and work too hard for my money to lose it.

If it's Too Good To Be True then it probably isn't true.

TJR

Jupton3,

I like to call bluffs on such things if they are actually bluffs. Reach out to the seller via a message/email and tell her:

a. You would like to talk to her on the phone about the sale and ask for her phone #.

b. You have a friend that lives near her and they would like to stop in an take a look at the 4wheelers and if they are as they say they are, they will pay cash on the spot and save the delivery time and cost, (that is your bluff).

I suspect you will never hear back.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, I did kind of what you said lol. I said i would take a weekend trip and check them out. She said she didnt have access to them they were in a warehouse waiting to be shipped to a buyer!!!! WTF!

Jupton,

That is the most common scam. "Ready to ship", "sitting in a warehouse", "can't be seen," "you can trust me because escrow protect you"...those are ALL tell-tale signs of a scam.

More than likely the way this would play out if you bit is as follows:

1. You escrow the money

2. The seller goes "dark" after receiving the funds, probably with removed email accounts, etc.

3. You try to resolve with eBay and they tell you that you are SOL because they don't recc or support any escrow and that you got scammed

More than likely this person on the other end is not a female. She is more than likely someone overseas, a male, early 20s, and pulling a scam. They only have to get a couple of people a month to fall for this, and for them, it beats working.

TJR

TJR

More than likely this person on the other end is not a female. She is more than likely someone overseas, a male, early 20s, and pulling a scam. They only have to get a couple of people a month to fall for this, and for them, it beats working.

Gee Tom, do you also know his height, weight, shoe size and blood type too??? Sounds like you know this guy:grin:

...Rich

Tom just wants a cut!!! Its all part of the master plan! LMAO! I appreciate all the comments and links today. Thank you all

I got a check for $0.30

Its going to be a great Christmas!

Ya, I got a check for 12 cents. I threw it away...was not worth the 15 mile trip to my bank to cash it. I'll bet the lawyers checks were a lot bigger than ours..:angry:

Has anyone ever gotten any real money out of any class action suit? I have been involved in about a half dozen class action suits, most of them appeared to be bogus and I never joined in since I never felt the claims were justified.

However, years ago I was involved in a class action suit against State Farm Insurance. They were improperly handling claims when insured people were involved in accidents with uninsured motorists. My daughter got hit in the rear by a Mexican national (legal alien) with no insurance and no drivers license (the police let him drive away??) It was her car, but it was on my insurance policy

The class action suit papers claimed that I would be entitled to a minimum $5k if approved. They claimed that State Farm had mislead people about their unisured motorist coverage stating that it did not cover certain things that by law it did. They encouraged people to file the claim on their Collision coverage and if they got the money from the unisured morotist they would reemburse you....Exactly the lies that State Farm told to me.

I had to fill out a bunch of papers and eventually had to drive to Dallas to testify in person before a panel of judges, attorneys and reps from State Farm. They told me that since my daughter was 18 at the time, I could not file the claim even though I paid the insurance and filed all the paperwork? The presiding Judge said my daughter was the victim, and she would need to file however, since it appeared that the original settlement of the claim with State Farm was fair, neither I nor my daughter were entitled to any further damages as claimed in the class action suit?? ...What a BS run-around.

I think the lawyers try to get as many people involved in the class action suit so that the company will have to put out more money, and they get a bigger fee...and they don't care if you qualify or not since they are guaranteed their fees.

...Rich

I invested 10K in a start up internet company back in '99... The "CEO" took off with the 10 million bucks people invested... I was in the CA suit and got a check for 1K,,,, 6 years later...... Buy McDonalds stock!!!