Anyone else have 5+ year battery?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
As my Trac is coming up on it's 5 year anniversary I was wondering if anyone else has a vehicle with a battery at least 5 years old? Can't decide if I should go ahead and get a new one or see how long this one will last. Still cranking fine but cold weather hasn't really hit down here yet.

My original battery shot dead at exactly 5 years. One day I noticed the radio presets were erased. I started it 4 to 5 more times throughout the day with no warning. The next day It did not start.:(

On a 2001 in the fall.

I have a 12 year old battery in my 1995 Ranger. Will not replace as I will be trading it on a new ST. But I also have a 6 year old battery in my wife's 2000 Mountaineer. Both vehicles are subjected to Minnesota winters and have not been pampered. I think that the less you abuse the battery the longer they will last. ( Do not let them run dead, or have too many accessories on without the engine running.

Just my $0.02.

I got right about 5 yrs. out of my OE battery, then it was just dead one morning. I jumped it, drove it to Auto Zone and replaced it in the parking lot.

If you've got a job, or other responsibilities, that you absolutely can't be late to, swap it out now. If you can spare an hour or two when it does die, ride it until the end.

My battery is starting to loose it. I noticed that the power windows aren't as fast as they used to be and the headlights dim way down if I don't turn them off before I turn off the ignition.

I agree on the abuse. This battery has never seen a very cold winter, a hot summer, deep discharges, etc. The engine starts in one second.

I just know that if i leave the lights on by mistake that it will kill this thing stone cold and I'll be stranded. I've got to get over to Wal Mart to get a yellow case battery. Made by Johnson Controlls.

I got five years out of my OEM battery as well. I almost missed a trip with some friends of mine, because of it, but was able to hitch a ride there before they left. Piro gave some good advice. If you have obligations where you can't be late, replace it now.

Go ahead and buy a new battery and throw it in the bed so you will have it on hand. Keep the receipt for your core return when it finally goes. Put the correct wrenches in a little baggy and keep them with the battery so you will be totally prepared when it fails in your place of employment parking lot. LOL

Mine is a few months past it's fifth year and still doing well. When I did my radio upgrades a few years ago, I was sure I'd shortened it's life by draining it completely a few times.

Pretty tough OEM battery. Anybody know who makes them for Ford?

I guess 5 years is pretty good for an oem battery so I'm probably going to look for a replacement pretty soon before I'm inconvenienced. CR just had a battery report last month. I think I'm going with the Duralast since CCA is not that important in my warm climate. Also the Duralast is highly recommended for warm climates. Something I learned from the CR article:

Chilling cold isn’t the hardest environment for batteries; hot temperatures actually cause more damage. While starting in frigid climates can be tough on a battery, heat saps more life over time. And the extra drain from air conditioning and increased under-hood temperatures in hot weather is especially taxing.

Anyone else have any suggestions? (I know Optima owners love their batteries but I'm way to cheap to pay that kind of money for a battery).

CR list:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
mine is still the orginal... i really need to replace it, im doing so at mid month before winter really sets in. Im getting an optima yellow top though.

Gavin, good link. Thanks.

It's amazing how Sears has trashed their once valuable brand names with poor quality over the last couple of decades.

The factory battery in my wife '01 Escape lasted almost 5yrs. I replaces it when it started to sound weak on morning startup...didnt want to push it to a crash..

TomT.

You get what you pay for.

Most OEM batteries rarely last much past 5 years, and some don't make it 36 months.

My 2001 Sport Trac battery lasted less than three years. After I jump started it and drove to the dealer, I had 35,989 miles on the odometer. I only had 11 miles left on my warranty and I got a brand new battery. I eventually put over 42K miles and turned it back in (leased) and purchased a new 2003.

In the mid 1990's the EPA required battery manufacturers to reduce the amount of lead in their batteries. Since then, battery life has dropped noticably.

The Optima batteries seem to have a longer life than most batteries. They don't use any more lead, but their spiral cell and gel technology appears to work to provide more power and a longer battery life.

I would look at purchasing an Optima battery if I planned on keeping the vehicle for about 3 or more years. It would be well worth the investment to know that you will not have to worry about battery problems.

Remeber, batteries usually die very suddenly. They don't make noise or seem to be weak until the very end., and that typically happens at the most inconvenient time.

...Rich

...Rich

Latest posts