Anyone have an HTPC they are using?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I am throwing the idea around of dumping my cable and going with an antenna and some online movie/TV serice like Netflix.

Anyone here doing this? Your thoughts? Would you do it all over?

Tom

I dumped cable years ago, but still have broadcast basic because I am in a valley where antenna reception is real weak. The basic package is $8.88 a month, which include all my locals... I get a good price because I also have broadband delivered by my cable company, (time warner) but sold by earthlink... My monthly bill, including taxes is $42/a mionth for cable and internet. We don't have a land line phone anymore, just cells.. We had Vonage digital phone, for $24/month, but couldn't justify keeping it with the cells.

So... with the broadcast basic, and internet, I just bought a new flat panel with internet apps, so I can watch Netflix and others... I plan to connect the flat panel to my PC so I can watch TV shows I do not get on basic cable... I also plan on getting a converter box and erecting a DTV antenna to pick up a few more channels off the air to get the chans the cable does not deliver... All in all, it is enough TV for me... When I had full cable, it is characterized as "a whole lot of nothing on"....

:supercool:

PS,.... Netflix runs out of stuff to watch real quick... I would think they'd have more... If you want to watch all the movies wou did not see in the theatre, it isn't bad... The selection is not what I had hoped for... I thought there might be a more expensive tier of Netflix to buy into, but I didn't see anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say enough GREAT things about the Roku box. That, along with a Netflix subscription gets you all the latest DVDs and thousands of hours of TV shows and movies streamed to your TV. Couple with with OTA antenna for your HD local programming and it's compelling (and cheap) when compared to cable. You will still need broadband, but hey, who can live without that these days?

TJR

I keep basic satellite channels so I can watch channels like USA network, AMC and FX. (Justified is the best show on tv.) But I gave up all the premium channels when I got Netflix and bought a TV last year that connects to the internet.

I dropped cable about a year ago, through hulu, netflix and *cough* downloads *cough* I haven't missed anything I've wanted to see..

I would say the exception to this is sporting events, but I don't really care other than a couple times a year, and I didn't bother with an antenna so maybe it's my own fault.

I've been using a HTPC for years, but only this past year finally cut the cable.

There are a good number of shows we watch. A short list includes the following...

Pawn Stars

Hardcore Pawn

Swamp People

Ax Men

All 3 CSI's

Swords

Minute to Win it

How the States got Their shapes

Deadliest Catch

"Animation Domination" on Sunday Night

American Restoration

Shows Theresa watches are the typical Lifetime shows and shows like Glee, Private Practice, Dr. Phil, America's Next Top Model, Criminal Minds, The Good Wife, and Who Do you Think You Are.

There are some other shows as filler when we run out of shows to watch and the weather is bad.

Can we expect to see the mojority of those shows through Netflix or other stuff like that?

Tom

Caymen,

For Theresa's shows, an OTA (over-the-air) antenna and an HD video recorder (like a Tivo) purchased at Costco or some other would do just fine. You would be money ahead that route than putting together an HTPC solution, IMHO.

Most of your cable channel "original programming" is available OTT (over the top), meaning streamed over the internet by their various providers, as well as made available at a delay on DVD and watch-now via Netflix.

The one thing I don't want to lose with my cable is my DVR and its ability to premium channels, as well as my ability to watch premium content on-demand. I am an HBO and Showtime original series junkie, and if I had to pay for those ala-carte on iTunes it would be too costly. HBO Go is cool, but it requires your cable/satellite provider subscription.

The moment that HBO and Showtime provide their own monthly subscription, price it less than $10/month, each, is the day I tell Comcast cable to shove their TV service. That day may never come, though. HBO and Showtime have a love/hate relationship with Comcast, Time Warner, etc, and they tend to get along and not cut each other's throats...just kick and scratch a bit.

TJR

I guess Im in the dark ages..LOL...I have OTA only. When I see a good movie come out. I rent it localy.

The TV is on for the cat more than me. Yes, my cat watches TV. If she isnt watching she is sleeping in the room that has a TV on..LOL...

I have maybe 4 weekly evening shows I make point to watch.

I haven't had any type of pay service in a year and a half and I still watch too much TV. Was moving, football season was over and I knew I wasn't going to foot the cost of the NFL package the next year so why pay the money.

OTA and Hulu are my mainstays with the occasional visit to a stations home page if a show I want to watch doesn't feed into Hulu. When the old laptop took a crap I put out a little extra money for the HD option and now I only have 1 cable from the laptop to the TV and everything is free. The wireless keyboard and mouse make it really easy.

Have been watching the progress of the Hulu Plus and Netflix as they put out more stuff for online viewing. Once the choices are worth going from free to fee then I'll pay somebody.

So far the only thing I miss is what TJR mentioned. The DVR. I still miss stopping and rewinding a live program if I missed something I wanted to hear.

I have Netflix's and it's pretty good, except it seems like all the good movies I want to watch are not available for Internet streaming:angry: I guess I could spend $2.00 more and be able to rent the DVD's.

Now that I have moved into my new house, they only had Time/Warner cable, and I would still have to keep them for Internet since there is no DSL here, and cellular service out here is not that great...even my cell phone cuts out because of a weak signal sometimes.

I have also been thinking about dumping my Time/Warner cable service (more like disservice)

A few months ago they raised the price from $97 to $114 a month. I am thinking of switching to DirecTV. I had DirecTV about 10 years back in 1996 and the service was great and the price was resonable.

My cable service here is terrible. The cable box cuts out constantly and has to be rebooted which takes about 10 minutes. And the cable service has gone out more times in the just the first month I had TW cable than my DirecTV went out in the entire 10 years I had it at my old house. Whenever I called DirecTV I got an Amercan who spoke clear english and quickly resolved any problems.

Half the time I call TW cable, I get somebody from India, who has no idea what's going on and all he can do is reboot the cable box from his location....I can do that myself and that's the first thing I do if there is a problem. More often than not I get a recording that says they are experiencing a problem in my area and that the customer service people do not know when the problem will be resolved? I am currently on my 3rd cable box in a year :fire:

The problem I see is all these TV services want you to sign a 2 year contract with the first year being fairly cheap, but then they gouge you the second year, and the won't tell you or guarantee what the next year will cost:angry: Who signs a contract without a price quote? That should be illegal !!

I have a large omni-directional antenas (looks like a flying saucer) I have thought about mounting it in the attic, but don't know if I will get a good signal or not. Most of the local TV stations are are on the south or south east side of Waco, and I live on the North west side of town...I know the NBC station is probably about 30 miles away>

...Rich

...Rich

I am thinking of switching to DirecTV. I had DirecTV about 10 years back in 1996 and the service was great and the price was resonable.

RL, My mom has direct tv up at lake livingston. I dont know what she pays, but she says the rates are the best out of any. She gets excellent service when she calls in. The reps walk her thru in a very understanding way. Mom is 81..

Eddie,

Yes, I too liked the DirecTV service and the occassional "Rain Fade" was never a big deal..rarely lased more than 10 or 15 minutes.

My only issue is the DirecTV requirement that you have land-line phone connected to your receiver. I actually disconected my phone from the satellite system for about a year, and the only thing that happens is you cannot order Pay Per View movies. It appears that they store the charges in you receiver and then periodically the internal modem dials up DirecTV and transfers the PPV data to them for billing.

I will probably call DirecTV Monday and see if I can get their service without having a land-line. If they require one, I may get one until after the system is installed and then cancel the phone service. I have a MagicJack and a cell phone, so I have no need for a land-line phone.

...Rich

Caymen (and others interested),

If you want to turn this HTPC thing into a tech hobby, then by all means go for it. You will more likely be time and money ahead if you buy an off-the-shelf HD video recorder, even a Tivo for OTA recording, and then get Netflix and a Roku box in order to get much of the premium content you want.

However, if for nothing other than the tech tinkering and the hobby aspect, setting up an HTPC can be fun.

I got emailed what seems like a pretty good deal from NewEgg today. See the link.

Also, you can get $40 bucks off if using promo code: EMCYTZT488

Latest posts