Anyone have experience with video surveillance systems?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
My office needs me to set up a video surveillance system. I am the IT manager and don't have experience with security cameras. We are looking for a simple setup and don't want to spend a lot of money. I would like to use poe (power over ethernet) so I only need to run 1 cable to each camera.

Requirements are:

-3 or 4 indoor cameras

-poe

-ability to record to a pc and view remotely

-motion activated recording would be great

-color cameras--the smaller the better because we do not want them to be noticeable

Sound is not necessary and either is the ability to pan and tilt.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,

George

Try a company called Video Insight. I setup a 36 camera solution for my facility using their video server and it works great. They can of course scale smaller for your needs. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That looks like good software. Make sure you get some decent cameras, though. I picked up an inexpensive Trendnet TV-IP110 for another purpose, but pressed into use as a security camera. While it works for capturing motion activated stills, the picture detail is a bit lacking.

[Broken External Image]:

George,

We set up security at all the Water plant sites, I could talk to our electrical guys to get you what you need...

Call me if you like..

Todd Z

I have one I bought for my house last summer, still have not put it in yet. Wish I new someone in VT that could do it. Its a self running DVR unit with motion and night survalence.

I use a Geovision card and software w/IR cameras.

Works well with my Vista. I do not check it over internet but do record. It does have that capability. No problems. Easily set up yourself.

Don't know how wiz bang you want but, I have three cheepies hooked to my TV. I dont record just activate when I hear a noise. Costco has a system on sale at thier online sight. I believe it will record. There is a whole bunch out there,:) some are wireless some are not. Use the internet to educate your self. It's a good tool. Good luck

George, I know you asked me, but it's not something I do. One of my old suppliers was the first to distribute DigiVue. They are in NY. If it looks like somthing you like, I'll hook you up with them. Here's a link to someone else who sells it.

Gary D.

I'm thinking about the same thing in my drug store.

On April 11th, someone turned the power off to the building, broke the front door down, came in and helped themselves to about $20K worth of drugs.

My security system alerted the police and they were here within two minutes of getting the call, but that was 4-5 minutes after the break in.

I pumped up my security a couple of weeks ago but my security didn't think the $3K for a camera system would be cost effective.

I'm thinking I can do it for less than that.

Having cameras would make me feel better, for sure.

Latest posts