Anyone using SYNC?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
I've seen the ads for the SYNC system, but haven't heard too much buzz about it. Anyone using it and if so, what are your thoughts?

My dad's aunt has it on her MKZ, and for what little time I got to mess with it I like it a lot, it's a really nifty feature, but it will definitely take you some time to get the hang of it

Yeah, I'm using the SYNC system in my '08 ST. It does some really cool things like hands-free calling, ipod interfacing, and it will even play music files from a zip drive. However, it doesn't work quite like it's advertised. Each event requires a seperate command that the system usually repeats for confirmation. In other words, you can't just say "Play Korn" and the music starts. You have to press the "voice" button, the system says it's "listening". You then give the location of the track (such as "USB"), then the system says "USB". THEN you finally ask it to "play Korn" THEN the system says, "playing Korn" and the music finally begins.

Those constant confirmations will begin to drive you nuts, and that's if the system understood what you said originally. If not, get set for another round of questioning. It would really be something if the system was listening all the time and could react to any voice command but it's just not there yet.

All that said (and this isn't a rant), the SYNC system is one of the big reasons I bought the new Trac. It's a great toy...and you ought to see the look on your passengers face when an incoming call rings your cell-phone and your truck starts talking to you. Super cool!:eek:

k98 said:
It would really be something if the system was listening all the time and could react to any voice command but it's just not there yet.

Be careful what you wish for. I could see some very unexpected and uncomfortable moments when our computers start accepting and misinterpreting our "casual conversation" as commands.

TJR

lol!

I see what you mean! By "listening", I meant only while the system was in use, not "all the time" as I said. A bad choice of words on my part.

I can just imagine the consequences.....

in my demo i have it. its awesome. K98, if the prompts keep bugging you just press the voice button again to cancel out the confirmation of the voice. Or if you have become really good enought and know the key words/phrases to say, go into the main menu and selecty advanced. this will completely delete the voice that reminds you. its very simple. Overall it is a great feature and I love having it. I use it everyday and love having my calls, email, txt msg, and all other features of my phone go through the speakers of the car. one great thing about it is i use my ipod with over 30,000 songs and all i need to do is say the name of the song and it goes directly too the song.

Overall, get it, its worth every penny.

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

If you need me to give you a proper write up on how to turn the settings to advanced, give me an email and i will go through it step by step K98.

Patrick, sounds like you could make it a project and get a quick easy wrench, or at least add it to the FAQ or something.

I think I will do that Jeff C. I'll even use video to show people. I am going to see if they will give me a wrench. Always wanted one!

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

Patrick:

Thanks for your reply. I only have a few hundred miles on my Trac and I obviously have a lot to learn about the SYNC system.

And thanks for the info. I'll work through the system again tomorrow and try out your suggestions. If I get bogged down I'll drop you a note. Thanks for your willingness to help.

I certainly agree with you. It's worth every penny. It's one of the many reasons I've rejoined the Sport Trac family.

Thanks again!

Latest posts