applying for my concealed license permit...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and just remeber that tom was involved with that squirrel. you know the one that he wanted to blow away.

if you forgot i found some pics of the incident :smile0005:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

KL,

In Texas, you are allowed to draw a gun on an unarmed person if they are threatening you or anyone else, and you can shoot if they make any agressive moves to attack you or others. The problem may be in proving that the person was threatining and agressice, so it helps if there were witnesses.

This does not apply to Road-Rage incidents or situations where both parties are threatening and agressive. But in situations where someone is threatening harm and you draw a gun telling them to stop, and they attempt to attack you or others, you can shoot them, and Texas will not shed a tear for them.

In Texas, if someone breaks into your home, you have the right to shoot them regardless if they are armed or not and you will not be charged with any offense. You only have to show that they actually broke in. If they walked in through an unlocked door, that might be a problem. Yes, you will be questioned to insure that the shooting was justified, as it should be, to insure that "Self-defense" was not just an excuse for murder.

If you have a licesens to carry a concealed weapon, you will be trained on when it is legal for you to draw a gun, and when it's legal to use deadly force. If you do not have a licesens to carry a concealed weapon, and you are not on your own property, you might be in some legal trouble for even carrying the gun. If you are on your property, then a concealed weapon is not an issue and is a matter of justifiable cause to draw the weapon and/or to use deadly force.

The problem with the courage theory is that once you engage in a fight or struggle with the assailant, you have already defined the limits of your self-defense. If you fight first, and later pull a gun or shoot him, you become the guy who brought a gun to a fist fight. You could not beat him so you shot him?

If you defend yourself by drawing the gun at the moment he becomes agressively out of control, and he continues to attack, that would be grounds for a self-defense shooting in most states. However this is a grey area in many states who look at a lot of other factors.

You point a gun at someone attempting to steal your car, but you cannot shoot hime if he runs away (no threat). In many states you can shoot him if he attacts you, but there is where the grey area is, especially if there were no witnesses.

All states allow the use of deadly force for self-defense, but it all depends on the circumstances and the frame of mind of the individual with the gun and how severly he felt he was being threatened.

I am a retired Vietnam veteran with a combat related disability. I can assure you that it takes a lot more courage to legally pull the trigger than you may think, even in a life or death situation. If you are dealing with some kind of street gang member, they don't have any conscience and would pull the trigger on their own mother.

...Rich

Richard,

Ohio finally brought their laws like Texas has. It used to be if a guy broke into your home, you could not shoot him UNLESS he was armed AND was a threat. Now if he is in your house, it is assumed that he is wanting to kill you.

If you enter someones car without their permission while they are in it, carjacking per se, they are entering your private property and he is now a threat.

If you beat on me and I want to get away, you are a threat.

In those cases, one must do what he has to do.

Tom

Watch out if you live in Ohio, or Texas.

Keep your doors locked and keep under close guard your elderly with dymensia, your mentally retarded, and others that might accidentally wander into your house or someone elses house and get blown away...

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out if you live in Ohio, or Texas.

Keep your doors locked and keep under close guard your elderly with dymensia, your mentally retarded, and others that might accidentally wander into your house or someone elses house and get blown away...

Florida also has this law...:smile0006:

Once again TJR is blowing this out of proportion.

Actualy, I am sure Pennsylvania has the castle doctrine too.

Tom

P.S. I am going to work now so don't accuse me of stabbing and then running.

Caymen,

Not blowing out of proportion...just presenting that the issue is NOT black and white as some are presenting it.

Clearly if someone is in your home uninvited there are circumstances where one probably does not want to take a "shoot first and ask questions later" approach.

IMHO, the castle doctrine should not give one the right to get away with killing someone in their home, in certain circumstances like those mentioned.

TJR

TJR,

I said there was a lot of grey areas in using deadly force for self-defense. The changes of someone with Alzheimers getting loose and breaking into my house would be very, very low. In fact, I have never heard of any old disoriented person being shoot for trying to break into someones house, but I can imagine that it may have actually happend somewhere.

A little common sense goes a long way although i know that there are people who own guns that have little or no common sense. The fact that there is a law in Texas and other states that allows you to carry a weapon, or shoot a home intruder had not increased the number of people shot because they were an intruder or assumed to be an intruder.

There was recently an incident where a woman called 911 that a man was pounding on her door and attempting to get in. In the 911 recording she told the operatior that she had a shotgun and said the police needed to get there quick because if he came through that door she would shoot hime. Moments later the guy broke through the door and she shot him dead.

Turns out the guy was drunk and his car broke down near her house. The police think the man did not know where he was and was probably just wanting to use the phone to get a ride or a tow truck.

That's a scenario that would be more likely than some old man or wonam suffering from some sort of dymensia banging on your door in the middle of the night.

Even Police have shot older people who suffered from various forms of dymensia if they acted agressive. People have the right to defend themselves regardless of the intent of the person who attacked them, or broke into their homes. More often then not in today's world, they are there to do harm.

...Rich

DEMENTIA:)

have had 3 bewilderd people walk into my house in the past two yrs, one old lady in a bath robe (she was lost) one old man in just his underware, he was lost, another old guy that asked for a glass of milk.

thank God the two loaded guns in the house are in the bedroom (we were in the den watching TV) Had I made a move to grab my piece and blow anyone one of them away, I could have gotten my a$$ shot off.

Bill,

It sounds like you may have a nursing home nearby? Or you live in a neighborhood filled with old people. If you lock your doors you would not be visited by so many confused old people.:smile0006:

I've never had any dymented old people come into my house unless they were relatives and I invited them.

Why didn't you shoot them? My assumption is that you have common sense and realized very quickly that they were not agressive and posed no real threat to you.

People who take advantage of the laws of self-defense are usually arrested for the shooting after some questioning. It usually becomes very obvious that they recognized that the person was not threatening them and they seized the opportunity to just shoot them, because their brain is twisted...It's those grey areas of the law that must be sorted out to determine if the shooting was justified.

...Rich

Richard

I live in a gated retirment community, 2500 people, mean ave age is 76, most are will into the 80s.

Never lock the doors because the doorbell is busted:)

bill,

Sorry, I do remember you mentioning before that you lived in a cummunity dominated by old people.

It sounds like you may live in a fairly safe area and that you don't feel threatened by the occasional dymentia patient stopping by for a visit.

My neighborhood is fairly safe, with no murders and little or now break-ins, etc. The worse that happens is an occasional tree gets TP'd, and you may find a beer bottle tossed onto your lawn. Crime in the town is going up slowly as the neighborhoods age.

Many of the people who lived here a long time are moving out. Because of the economy, and higher taxes, it's hard to sell their houses here, but it's a very popular area because the schools are some of the best in the state. That means a lot of people are doing what I'm doing, buying new houses elsewhere and renting out the old house. When the economy gets better, I will probably put the old house up for sale.

...Rich

People that throw beer bottles should be shot on site IMO, you never know , might be a molitov Cocktail:)

Little old ninty year old men that walk into your home wearing just boxer shorts should not be taken lightly, you should arm yourself and be ready for deadly force.

Hell, he could be a pervert and flash your wife in an instant, might even try to punch your lights out, all good reasons to defend your castle and blow him away, the law is on your side.

Yea Rich, my hood is very safe, is some gunplay tho, more than I would like to hear about, but they are all suicides amoungst those to old and sick to keep going.

Public saftey publishes a Crime report of sorts once a month (if you can call it that)

lawn ornament hit by car, cow breaks down fence and tramples garden, deer ate all my flowers,Crow ate baby birds in my backyard nest, the list is endless.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like clusterpup has the same issues as tom :smile0007:

allright, we get it. i got my gun, let me show it to you so you understand :smile0006:

Latest posts