April 7, 1933 - VERY Important date

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
The CullenHarrison Act, named for its sponsors, Senator Pat Harrison and Representative Thomas H. Cullen, enacted by the United States Congress March 21, 1933 and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt the following day, legalized the sale in the United States of beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% (by weight) and wine of similarly low alcohol content, thought to be too low to be intoxicating, effective April 7, 1933. Each state had to pass similar legislation to legalize sale of the low alcohol beverages in that state. Roosevelt had previously sent a short message to Congress requesting such a bill. Sale of even such low alcohol beer had been illegal in the U.S. since Prohibition started in 1920 following the 1919 passage of the Volstead Act.[1] Throngs gathered outside breweries and taverns for their first legal beer in many years.[2]

In honor of this important day, I'm bottling a batch of Gamay Nouveau (13ish% abv) which is my wifes home coming present from deployment. I'll also be brewing up a Scottish Wee Heavy (should be in the 8%abv area).

All while enjoying a few fermented goodies :haveabeer:

I think the highest ABV beer I've ever had was 6% :(

I need to explore more--beer is always cheaper than booze in America, and if I can find some I like, then I'm golden.

IMO the 2 & 1/2 men "get drunk on mouthwash" approach is better than drinking Bud and its ilk. More than double the alcoholic content, and an actually enjoyable taste.

3.2% is ridiculous. Leaving apple cider to ferment by its own yeast can go up to 15% :(

High alcohol beers hold a special place in my stomach :supercool:

KL what have you tried and liked? or not liked? I'd love to give some suggestions, beer is a great hobby :haveabeer:

Sadly, I haven't tried much in the way of high alcoholic/specialty beers. I'm a blank slate when it comes to them. The "tabla raza" of beer lol.

I've given the mainstream stuff (Coors, Bud, etc) numerous chances, but they didn't do much for me. Dos Equis was almost decent, but I blame the hilarious commercials for that. (Which is why I haven't been too motivated to seek out rarer beer, it's my own fault really.)

But a 13% ABV beer that has taste is something I've never really heard of. Shoot, the same goes for an 8%-er.

My new found favorite which I haven't seen on the West Coast but picked up a 6 pack on my epic road trip a few months back is Dogfish Head's Burton Baton. It's a Oak Aged Imperial IPA (10%) not for the faint of heart. IPA's are hoppy, and a lot of people don't like hops which is sad since its what gives beer all it's great flavor. It's pricey, but good beer is a lot like good wine. When you consider the alcohol content vs the big name domestics it all balances out if you are just drinking for the buzz. If you are drinking for flavor than it just plain doesn't matter since big name domestics have none..

The Gamay Nouveau is actually a French wine, I'm not a huge wine drinker but the sample I had while bottling was pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_rasa

Nice, but my quotes were to symbolize that I was using the parlance version of the phrase. I suppose I shoulda used "sic", but that's pompous & I didn't think of it until now. :banana:

Come on now, Bud Light Golden Wheat is actually pretty good.

Paulaner Hefeweizen is my favorite every day beer. I've been enjoying Samuel Adams' Noble Pils recently and is great if you like hops like me. Terrapin Indian Brown is pretty good if available in your area. Also, Fat Tire makes some easy to love beers.

There are ton's of great high gravity beers. As mentioned, Dogfish Head is pretty good. Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster is pretty amazing (and an Athens brewery!:banana:). Delerium is decent but probably so popular because of great marketing. I had something from Duck Rabbit, Rabid Stout I think, that was disgusting. As with all things, there are great and there are bad. These are generally reflected in pricing.

One note on pricing, though, Yuengling is barely more than the cheap beers that are good at nothing besides advertising and it has a good taste.

Also, I've been hearing great things about a Banana Bread beer or something like that. I don't think it's available in Georgia, yet. At least, definitely not in my area.

Come on now, Bud Light Golden Wheat is actually pretty good.

I admit I haven't tried it, but my expectations are very low as it is made by Bud.

One note on pricing, though, Yuengling is barely more than the cheap beers that are good at nothing besides advertising and it has a good taste.

I've found a disturbingly large number of people in my area who think Yuengling is Chinese, it never stops being funny :grin:

As with all things, there are great and there are bad. These are generally reflected in pricing.

Sadly. Though the difference in price between good booze/beer and bad beer might remain the same, I wouldn't care about that if the taxes and fees that cause the good to cost so much would be rolled back. Maryland is trying to levy additional taxes on booze. :fire: Especially brutal as a start-up is trying to bring booze manufacturing back to MD. I was planning on giving "old bay" vodka a shot (or 2), but now that might not happen.

On that, banana bread beer is something I'd give a try, if just for the novelty. I've been impressed with flavored beers so far, so as long as it doesn't go down the "twisted tea" path and still taste like Miller Lite (ie crap) @ 2x the price, it'll also be well-received by me.

Good Beer

Any beer on a hot summer day.

Any beer you find in the fridge after you think you are out of beer.

Any beer your friend brings over after you have skinned a knuckle changing your motor.

Any beer (hot or cold) while fishing.

Any beer that shows up in a war zone.

Any beer your friend is still holding after you wake up in the hospital room remembering that the last thing you told him was "hold my beer and watch this".

Bad Beer

Any open or un-open beer the police find in your car when you are stopped.

Any beer your neighbor bring over and says, "try this I made it, it's not bad if you mix it with half a real beer."

Green Beer (don't ask, personal experience)

Old Dutch

:haveabeer:

Living in Europe, most beer is in the 5-8% range. In Poland, we have very good beers for around $1.75 in every pub. One nice thing about being retired is I can spend my afternoons enjoying a cold one while I paint or do yard work. Or even better, I just go to the town square and drink at a sidewalk cafe, and watch the nice Polish women walk by.

Latest posts