Are Explorer or Ranger lower rear shock bolts the same as my '03 ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
I pulled into the office this morning after changing my stock 130k shocks out for my new Sensa-Tracs. I also rotated the tires and noticed that one of the Wrangler RT/S's had cracks near the bead on the inside of the tire, so I put the spare on and placed it on the right rear. One of my co-workers asked me if I tore up my truck, I explained to him about the tire and he told me that the right rear shock was hanging down. Sure enough, the bolt was gone. It felt a little funny when I was tightening it, but I was only using a 15mm wrench and a 18mm Gearwrench, no air or long pattern wrenches.

Ford parts house doesn't carry then in stock, $6.50 for the bolt and $3.50 for the nut (which they had). Thought about hitting Pull-A-Part tomorrow at lunch, as they said it'd be 3-4 days. :angry:

Right now I collapsed the shock and ran a big zip tie thru it to keep it collapsed and not hitting anything. I hate to drive it that way, but I don't have a spare vehicle (my wife made me get rid of it :angry: found a white '93 Ranger Splash regular cab for $1800 with a 2.3 and a new clutch).

Go to a hardware store and get a grade 5 or 8 bolt. Get a locking type nut for it.

You will be ok.

Latest posts