Are we starving people around the world?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biznaga

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The boom in ethanol fuels in the United States and elsewhere could have devastating effects on food prices and worsen world hunger, a new study argues.

The study by C. Ford Runge and Benjamin Senauer of the University of Minnesota said the rush into ethanol threatens to divert massive amounts of corn and other food crops into biofuels.

Sheesh! Save the environment or starve a person What will the critics come up with next? :(: huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm doing my part to feed the world then. E85 showed up here a couple months ago and at that time, was ~$.60 cheaper per gallon and I considered using it. A few weeks later and it is now ~$.25 cheaper per gallon. Makes my "considering using" factor, a little less likely.

But in the end, hell we can't even provide good food for our cats and dogs, so what does the rest of the world have to do with it?

Kidding, but not really...

I've never seen E85...

I'll consider it when I get the supercharger, but only 'cause it's cheaper for higher octane than super...

The US Govt doesn't care about anyone but itself. Look at how many billions of dollars we give EVERYONE else, but refuse to take care of our own.

The US Govt doesn't care about anyone but itself. Look at how many billions of dollars we give EVERYONE else, but refuse to take care of our own.

The US gov't does not care the same way the French, German, Russian, Chinese and Mexican gov'ts do not care about their own. Our foreign aid budget, while in the billions of dollars, is a drop in the bucket compared to the trillions we spend on everything else. I'm sure we send money to many ungrateful countries that are burning our flag and chanting about death to the great satan and we should cut them off.

However, what about SSDI, Medicaid, Welfare, head of household tax credit, food stamps and school lunch programs? Not to mention the billions of dollars private charities spend on soup kitchens, shelters and counseling centers.

We actually do a lot for our poorer citizens. It is just not enough for each of them to have a 50" LCD HDTV with a PS3 in every room and two new cars in the driveway.

It is no coincidence that the US has the fattest poor people in the world.

And as for starving people because we are turning our excess corn into fuel, oh well.

That's why I think we should drill for oil wherever it is found and treat "global warming" like the crock that it is.

Haven't seen E85 here in NJ yet, doesn't matter since I have an '02 trac anyway. In Brazil the make it from sugar not corn and it costs about 1/4 what gasoline does down there. the US government use to pay farmers to destroy tons of their corn production to keep the prices level.

My dad works in the ethanol fuel industry (sells and installs ethanol production facilities). A lot of this this is also hype and "miseducation".

However, there is a give and take in EVERY action...

Every action has a reaction.

I'm all for ethanol strictly to help tell the Sheiks where to shove it. There is a LONG way to go before that happens.

I know, let's grow, eat and also turn our own corn into fuel for us, use our own oil, and let the oil rich countries use their oil for fuel and food. That way, the bad USA taking anything from those nice countries. :D

Most of those counties with starving people need birth control, not food. Send them Trojans.

Or, as I've said before:

A gallon of gas for an ear of corn, or:

A barrel of oil for a bushel of wheat!

Sounds like a fair trade to me...;)

Here's what I want to know: As the need for corn (and other biomass) goes up, are the subsidies that taxpayers provide to farmers going to go down?

I have to think that sugar cane and sugar beets would make for better ethanol crops than corn. I don't see any cause for alarm with regards to the world's food. As long as climate change doesn't continue we should be able to satisfy the needs, and it is a renewable resource. The main issue is getting the distribution infrastructure in place to make this alternative fuel viable.

TJR

However, what about SSDI, Medicaid, Welfare, head of household tax credit, food stamps and school lunch programs? Not to mention the billions of dollars private charities spend on soup kitchens, shelters and counseling centers.

We actually do a lot for our poorer citizens. It is just not enough for each of them to have a 50" LCD HDTV with a PS3 in every room and two new cars in the driveway.

It is no coincidence that the US has the fattest poor people in the world.

AMEN, Fkent! "Poor" people in the US still have Ipods, cell phones, Air Jordans, PlayStations, lots of jewelry, drive large luxury cars, watch cable or satellite TV, eat out at restaurants, and wear designer clothes. These are all considered to be "rights" that all Americans are supposed to have.

I say let these leaches on the system starve. We already have 8 million people on welfare, and I can't work hard enough or long enough to pay all the taxes that they require to maintain their standard of living. Now, I am 100% in favor of helping folks who fall on hard times, have illness or disability, and I am OK with helping service members and elderly folks maintain a basic standard of living. However, when I see the shopping carts full of cigarettes, expensive food, whiskey, beer, wine, candy, dog food, ready-to-serve snacks, etc. at the grocery store, and the fat welfare momma uses a food stamp card, it makes me want to SPEW.