At what level does the check gage come on?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
Finally let my ST get low enough on fuel where the check gauge came on. I filled up and could only fit 18.6 gallons in it.

At what level is the guage set to register? Do all models have a 22.5 gal tank?

C

After further review of this site, I noticed that the check gage light is for the oil pressure? Well it came on tonight while driving home from dinner. My gas gage was very low and that is why I related it to the gas.

Should I be concerned with this? It went off after about 2-3 mins. I was going up a hill slowly which caused the fuel gage to go up and the check gage went off. Another reason I related it to gas.

C

Last edited by a moderator:
C...I believe the check gage light works for both the gas tank and the oil pressure. Reason I say this is because when I had problems with the Oil Pressure sending unit in my Trac, the check gage light came on. Also have had the light come on a few times for being too low on gas. Like Steve, my ST is an 01 and has a 20.5 gal. tank. You mentioned when you were going uphill the needle for the gas gage went up a bit and the light went out, if that is so then good chance the light came on because you were low on gas. When I had problems with the sending unit, not only did the check gage light come on but the needle dropped as well. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil pressure gage is a go/no go type display. It truely doesn't reflect the oil pressure. If you have above ( I believe ) 6 psi the gauge will read 1/2 way. If less it will read zero. It sounds more like the fuel level than the oil pressure.

I regularly run mine down until the check gage light comes on. I'll usually put 18-18.5 gallons in to fill it up. Mine is a 20.5 gallon tank. The hills will definitely cause the fuel gauge to fluctuate and make the light cycle on and off.

I think it is a 20.5 gallon tank. I've read here where some have been able to put more gas in at the pumps.

If it is the gas causing the check gage light to come on, how much fuel would be remaining to get you somewhere? I'm guessing 2 gallons since I was able to put 18.6 gls at the pump. That would give me a good 30-35 miles with the light on?

You are smart to test your low fuel warning so you have a more accurate idea as to how much fuel you have left.

You cannot rely on the gas gauge, or the low fuel (check gauge) light. They are highly inaccurate and vary from vehicle to vehicle.

I have driven over 440 miles on a tank of gas and the gauge still was not on empty and the tank only took a little over 20 gallons of fuel to top it off. Also, the gas tanks can easily be filled beyond their rated capacities by at least two gallons.

...Rich

"Generally", any vehicle that will give a warning about low fuel will do so when it thinks you have "about" 50 miles remaining from the amount or fuel remaining in your tank.

The tank in out ST is slightly unique in that it is relatively long (front to rear) and that makes it susceptible to giving mis-leading readings on the fuel gage based of whether, ot not, the Trac is angled uphill, or downhill, on the road. This causes the gauge to fluctuate and the warning light to cycle.

Mine comes on with 1/2 a tank if i park it on my drive way facing down.....

But On a flat road while driving I noticed about 2 gallons left in the tank..

Todd Z

I've actually run out of gas in my driveway because of the slight downhill to it. When I got it to the gas station it only took 18 gallons