Attn. 1tech Scott

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Scott Im starting a new thread.

I need to get my ford wiring book and look myself. This is confusing or whacked.

I used a digital vom. when I trip the unlock switch. It is definitly +12vdc,when it locks and unlocks. If my reading was -12vdc. Wouldnt that tell me the switch makes ground??

It is just that it doesnt unlock from inside on the driver door. Continuity of the switch both ways is good. Wire jumpers and switching the wires on the switch the unlock position will lock the doors.

So this is why I think it is a bad wire in the harness. Most likley in the door to cab conection.

I will email you the wiring diagram I have tomorrow, I would do it now but my printer is out of ink and my program won't let me hijack it off of the screen so I have to print it and then scan it. Once you look at the diagram it will make sense. I am able to copy text though so here is a brief description of how the system is supposed to operate

The central security module controls the power door lock and keyless entry system. The lock and unlock operation is carried out by supplying ground to the central security module from the door lock control switch. The normal path of the actuators is to ground through the central security module. The door lock control switch will lock and unlock all doors by grounding the appropriate circuit to the central security module. The central security module then supplies power to the appropriate common actuator circuit to lock or unlock all doors.

Eddie,

l1tech is correct...Sport Trac's use a 2 wire door lock motor/servo, which means the switch simply reverses polarity to lock and unlock.

Since your remote works fine to lock and unlock your doors, then it's probably in the switch or switch wiring..

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

I suspect wiring in the door or door to cab. When I reverse the wiring. the switch still works. But only to lock. No unlock.

Eddie,

If you reverse the wires at the switch and it works to lock but not unlock, would have to assume the wiring is good, but suspect the swtich is bad. There are only two wires and it requires both wires (+ and -) to reverse polarity, so if either wire was bad it would not work at all to lock or unlock the door. Since it can Lock the door, the wires must be good. The switch should be reversing the polarity of the two wires to the lock or unlock...since it can do only one of those functions, the problem appears to be in the switch not the wiring

You might pick up a cheap switch at the junk yard.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
You might pick up a cheap switch at the junk yard.

I have an extra switch. After truck body repair.

My body man gave me all the parts from the salvage door.

I need to check that.

Eddie,

I suspect that the switch in your door and most of the internal parts are from the junk yard door...The spare switch you have is probably the switch from your old door.

....Rich

Eddie,

Oh, I did not know that the door lock problem was not with the door you had replaced...although I still think it is the switch from your old door.

Either way, I suspect the switches are probably the same for the left and right doors...Kind of inefficient to make a different switch for every door?

....Rich

Rich,

I looked at the extra switch. It the same. I can try it.

When I was inspecting the driver door switch. My digital vom, shown continuity both ways.

Latest posts