Attn: Caymen - Timing chain noise.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor V01

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. If the fix is so simple, why do several dealers say they fix the problem, then have the noise come back soon after I get it back. I have to take it back to the dealer since it was fixed under warranty, and repair is still warrantied. If you can elaborate on the fix, I will try to mention it to my dealer. If for some reason they cant fix it, I would be interested in your help , maybe this spring or summer. I live 1.5 hours from Cinnicinati(sp), OH., in Richmond, KY. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Victor

.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The repair is the timing chain tensioner. The get to the tensioner, you need to pull the upper intake manifold and one Engine coolant temperature sensor. You will need to remove one oil galley plug to insert a restrictor plug into. Then you replace the plug with a new plug. Pull the tensioner and replace it. While you have everything apart, replace the lower gasket just for general principle.

I will get you the campaine number a little later when I can look it up.

Tom

Tom,

Is this the common timing chain rattle (also the subject of the TSB)? I'm wondering because I believe I have it in my 2001 and need to get it fixed before transferring the ST to my son and his family.

The timing chain raqttle ONLY affects the 2001 Job 1 engines. It ONLY happens at start-up and goes after a few minutes. It does NOT rattle between 2000 and 3000 RPM. It does NOT rattle if the engine has been running for hours. It ONLY rattles during start-up.

It DOES NOT cause engine damage, timing issues, abnormal wear or anything else. It is only an annoyance.

Ford ran the 4.0L SOHC engine without tensioners and though it rattled, there was no timing issues or engine damage.

It is only an annoyance.

Tom

my 2001 job 2 has the clatter/chatter noise at 2500 RPM if it is not the timing chain issue then what could this be, i've heard of ping but I have ran 87 89 and have been running 93 octane and the noise is still there... I always thought this was the timing chain issue

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

my 2001 job 2 has the clatter/chatter noise at 2500 RPM if it is not the timing chain issue then what could this be

I couldn't tell you. Might you be hearing a noise associated with the drive belt tensioner?

Here are some quotes from the Ford recall notice.

Q1:

How do I know if a customer's vehicle requires a new camshaft chain tensioner or an intake manifold gasket?

ANSWER:

TENSIONER: An engine rattling noise that occurs just after cold engine start up and goes away within FIVE minutes after the engine is running indicates the need to install a new camshaft chain tensioner.

INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET: Rough idle and low idle are symptoms which may, in some cases, indicate an intake manifold leak. Also, in some cases, the condition may activate the "Check Engine" light.

Q3:

Can the camshaft chain tensioner cause an engine failure?

ANSWER:

No. Engines have been tested with the tensioner removed and run under various conditions. In every test, valve timing was maintained and none of the cassettes were damaged.

dennis, I would start the engine and try to locate the noise under the hood. I would be looking directly at the drive belt tensioner.

Tom

That's really strange, what Mr. Caymen has said about the noise between 2500 and 3000 RPM not being timing chain rattle,that goes against everything I've ever heard about the issue.

I have a 2001 job 2, which has always had the rattle. I've gone around and around with the dealer about this. They claim the noise I'm hearing is pinging from bad gas. I have tried all the suggestions on this board and from the dealer, all with no change in the rattling noise.

I really feel that there is something more going on than pinging. I just stopped worrying about it and hopefully it will not hurt anything. Am I stupid? maybe, but time will tell. So far 61k miles and still going strong.

That's really strange, what Mr. Caymen has said about the noise between 2500 and 3000 RPM not being timing chain rattle,that goes against everything I've ever heard about the issue.

Where did you hear this information?

I really feel that there is something more going on than pinging. I just stopped worrying about it and hopefully it will not hurt anything. Am I stupid? maybe, but time will tell. So far 61k miles and still going strong.

You can replace the tensioner if you feel like it will do something, but according to Ford, if the sound only occurs at start-up and goes away within 5 minutes, it is the timing chain rattle. It says nothing about an RPM noise. If I find any other data on my DVD I will let you know.

Tom

victorv,

I forgot to mention... I live in Akron, Ohio. I am about 4 hours NothEast of Cincinnatti, OH.

As I said, I am more then willing to help you figure out your problem on your Trac. You are more then welcomed to stop by my place to work on your Trac. I already had the intake town apart on my 2000 Explorer and I know how everything comes apart and I have all the tools needed to tear it apart.

My Explorer already had the recall done on it from the evidence found in the engine like the oil galley restrictor plug. It has been installed. Since I had everything apart I replaced the tensioner just because I had it. It did not need to be installed.

As I said, it looks like a large prokect, but it really isn't. I wanted to "farm" the work out to my mec hanic buddy, but after reading all the instructions on the project, I knew I could handle it. I took my time and cleaned everything. I mean everything. All intake manifolds and my brother cleaned the intake galleys on the head. The job will be even easier the second time.

Mind you, the only thing you would have to pay for is the cost of the parts. My labor is free. Just supply some cold beer as a reward. ;)

Tom

Caymen,

My ST is a job 2. Will it be the same problem? The dealer replaced both front and rear timing chain cassette at the last visit. Mine only does it at start up, and lasts maybe the most 30 seconds. If its not doing any harm, I might just let it go. Oh, it sometimes does it during warm start ups also. Thanks again. Victor

Are you sure you have a Job 2? Which side is your oil cap. Drivers or passengers side?

Tom

I couldn't tell you. Might you be hearing a noise associated with the drive belt tensioner?

My 2001 and 2004 ST had this same issue, it did sound like a "timing chain" issue, but I believe it was coming from the belt tensioner. In fact, I remember it would get reallllly loud after I washed the Trac's engine, so I am pretty sure that's where it was coming from.

I have the same suspicion, Mud. I have washed down my engine bay 3 or 4 times in about 37K miles and I'm thinking maybe the degreaser (Black Magic Engine Shine) isn't all that good for it after all. Or at least I shouldn't spray the degreaser so generously and haplessly next time.

Flip,,,unless you have oil leaks, you dont need engine degreaser. What I do is go to a car wash and use the spot free rinse at a distance. With no oil leaks all you have is dust anyway. As far as engine shine,I quit using it years ago. It cause more problems, electrical connectors, etc. It tends to seep into places you dont want it.

Had it done at 15K under warranty. 10K later it was even louder than originally. At 52K it sounded like I was driving a diesel. Maybe this is something that needs to be done every 15K? If this is the same engine that put in the Rangers you would think Ford would have a long term fix for it or fixed it period.

OK, I'll go along with that (it's the belt tensioner). How hard is that to change? I tried grabbing it with my hand and couldn't get to it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for tools either.

I'm pretty sure its a job 2. My engine is like photo below.Doesnt job 1 have different intake manifold and cover?

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts