Attn: Caymen - Timing chain noise.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
victorv, yes your's is a job 2 and yes that second pic is a job 1

victorv,

I would be willing to bet your noise you hear is coming from you drive belt tensioner since you have a Job 2 Sport Trac, and the Job 2 Sport Trac does NOT have problems with the timing chain tensioner.

One way to isolate the sound is to remove your belt, start it up and listen for the noise. Shut it off right away. Make sure the engine is cold because you will not have any water circulating, no PS working, and your charging system will be off too.

If you no longer hear the sound, then it is either the idler pulley or the drive belt tensioner.

Tom

Caymen,

I replaced the idler pulley a while ago, Which pulley is the drive belt tensioner? I thought they were the same. The idler was what I origionaly thought it was. Thanks Victor

The idler pulley is the puller without an accessory connected to it. The tensioner is the pulley connected to a spring loaded arm to keep tension on the belt.

Tom

Thanks, Caymen. This wasn't my thread, but the advice was still sound. I changed out the belt tensioner today on the 2001. The peace and quiet is so much better than that rattle I had before.

Caymen,

I guess I changed out the tensioner pulley. Thanks for the awesome info.Any idea how much the idler pulley costs? Thanks Victor

Latest posts