ATTN: strube

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
I read that you recently bought the Kenwood DPX-701 head unit from Crutchfield. I am thinking about buying the DPX-501 model but the Crutchfield site doesn't have it listed as one that will fit my '01. Also, I'm curious as to what wiring harness or adapter(s) you may have needed to hook it up. I can save about $100 buying the head unit itself from eBay, but it would be a wash if I had to spend a bunch on the required harnesses, etc.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the head unit so far?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cory,

I ordered a Metra install kit online (do a ST forum search for the 2 din install kit, that’s where I found it), and I got a wiring harness for a Ford Premium Sound System for the Explorers with a factory sub, one that had an RCA connection and amp control wires that plugged directly into the factory harness. I can’t tell you what the harness cost, because my local audio store gave it to me for free, as well as about $100 off the unit. I also threw away the packaging, so I can’t get you part numbers, but any local audio store, as well as Crutchfield, should have the same thing, or at least be able to look up what you need. If you have the premium sound system with a sub, this will be what you need, otherwise you need the basic harness.

I love my HU. It took some skill to get it to fit, however. I had to do some major grinding and such to the radio trim, but in the end, the install kit I had covered it up so you couldn’t tell. Also, I had an interesting time wiring it, but you shouldn’t have to deal with what I did because I have the weird Adrenalin Pioneer Ultimate audio system (I had to rob some RCA jacks from a dodge harness and hook them to the pre-outs and into the harness, after some trial-and-error). Anyway, the 701 is great (pretty much the same as the 501 as far as functionality goes), the USB feature is all I use, it is amazing. I just have a 2.5” WD passport hard drive hooked up with a ton of music on it and never have to change CD’s, plus, the USB powers the hard drive, so no need for a power adapter. It takes about 30 seconds to initialize (which is understandable for 10000 songs) and the navigation control seems a bit fragile, but I just use the remote all the time anyway. I definitely reccommend the DPX-501 or 701.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help as far as part numbers and such, but let me know if you have any other questions. If you want I can run down there and find out exactly as far as part numbers some time. Just let me know if you want me to, and if so, what kind of stereo option you have in your '01.

Jared