ATV Rack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B 4

Reaction score
Any one out there have any experience with an above the bed rail ATV rack? I want to take my quad with me to the dunes but would also like to be able to tow a pop up trailer. With it in the bed the tailgate has to be down so thinking of making a rack to go above the rails so I can load up the quad, then gear in the bed, then hook up the pop up trailer.

If you have done this, pics would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

I saw a picture on can-amtalk.com where a guy built one out of wood on a full size doge and used aluminum ramps to load the atvs (he had 2) sideways. He had storage underneath also. There is also a commercially made unit that slides (actually designed for snowmobiles) but I do not know who makes it.

It should work, but be careful of the weight. I know my quad weighs 800+ lbs (renegade 800), you figure in the weight of the deck, and then the tongue weight of the camper and you may be pushing it.

Good idea though.......

I just bought a trailer, but I do not tow a pop up anymore.

Gerry

Yeah I have seen the racks for a 5' + bed but nothing yet for our shorted beds. Figure it may have to extend over the rear a bit. Quad is a Honda TRX450r so around 400#, rack I am guessing will be around 100#, and small pop up trailer tongue weight of approx. 250-300#.

I am also looking at a Fleetwood E2 or a Starcraft but them offroad trailers have a high ball mount and bigger tires then my truck. LOL