ATV/Utility Trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Ortiz

Reaction score
Hello all. I figured Id get some opinions on sizing a used trailer. We bought 3 Honda Recon ATVs a while back, and need a way to move them back & forth to our riding area. I've been scanning craigslist trying to find something used within my budget (~$8-900)

Here are the specs on the ATVs:

6.5' long by 3.4' wide (ea.)

450 lbs wet. (ea.)

I wouldn't mind having to turn them sideways on the trailer.

I'm trying to find something that won't bog the ol' ST down too much. Recently I've been towing my jetskis off of the bumper hitch but am planning to get a receiver hitch. (725 lbs ea on double trailer.)

I've been looking at around and have seen some good deals on 6x12, 6x14 standard utility trailers. I know about pulling trailers and taking it easy with pulling, but I dont know what size trailer i should be looking for.

Also, when /pulling the jetskis my rear end sags down a good bit (must be an age thing :supercool:) What would be a good way to combat this?....add-a-leaf/load adjusting shocks/etc.? On a tight budget if that makes a difference. I also dont have trailer brakes but I plan my stops and keep speeds down...towing with a stock ST.

Thanks guys...:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,

You will need some type of a side load trailer to get 3 quads on, dont know if its possible on a 6x12 or a 6x14 trailer to fit 3 quads on. You could put 2 on a trailer and one in the back of the truck. When I had 1 quad I put it in the back of the sport trac, it was a 500 Honda foreman it fit fine. I bought another quad and a trailer that had one quad facing forward, and the other sitting sideways on the trailer. That was the way the trailer was configured.

I now have a Polaris Ranger that I tow with the trac, about 1200 lbs the truck pulls it fine. The rear does sag a little, but I dont consider it a problem. No trailer brakes either, and I take it up the moggolon rim in northern Az all the time again no problems.

i got a nice 6x12 utility trailer a few years ago and it cost me around $1200. It only has the gate on the rear. I doubt if you could get more than two small ATVs on it, so for what you are wanting, you are probably gonna have to spend around $2000 or more.

Best bet is to measure your ATVs and gear, compare to the specs on trailers that you like, and see how it will all fit. Side load trailers are great, but you might be able to do it with rear load. All depends on how you want to do it and what you need.

Here's a brochure from the trailer mfgr that I bought:

You'll definitely have to load them sideways unless you want a 20' trailer. Based on width, you can get away with a 12' bed but the ATVs will be tight.

Echo sells a 14' trailer that is about $500 too high ($1,400), and their next size down is about a 9.5' trailer--too small, of course. The design is what you want to focus on, however. Low retaining sides, small wheel wells, and ramps.

Weight of 2,500 or less is an easy drive without electric brakes. As you mention, planned stops and safe speeds make it easy. I drag a Rzr on a 1,000 pound Sure-Trac trailer and, except for hills, barely notice it's there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll have a hard time finding a new one for that kind of money. I have a Triton ATV88 and love it, but I wish I would have bought the ATV128, more room for firewood, etc. The 88 is for two, and the 128 is for three. I have two Polaris, and they fit fine. The ramp stores under the back and you drive over the side. Basically a snowmobile trailer modified. All aluminum only weighs like 200 pounds. I bought mine while I was working in Wisconsin one summer. That's where they're built. Got a killer deal. But for the money you're looking at, hunt for a used one. There are all kinds of trailers for sale. Watch out for any that have the fender over the wheel. My friend has one and it's a hassle to park one in that area sideways.

Latest posts