Audio Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich S03

Reaction score
I needed a little help with adding a subwoofer to my '03 Sport Trac. I have been looking for a while now and I think I have made a choice of the Kicker L7 8 inch. The question I have is if anyone else has one installed and their opinions on that subwoofer and how much power they are running to the subwoofer. I was going to just spend the money up front and buy a Kicker IX 500.1 which I know is more than enough power but I like the small footprint of the amp. It is also a nice one for other subwoofers down the road. I just saw online though that someone suggested not running more than 250 RMS to the Kicker L7. I didn't know if the 8 inch could handle the true 450 RMS it is rated for or not. Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I WAS thinking of installing a shallow mount ten. Where did u plan on putting the amp and what kind of box . I highly doubt a 8 inch could handle that I would go with the 250-300 but I never had an 8 so I may be wrong.

I WAS thinking of installing a shallow mount ten. Where did u plan on putting the amp and what kind of box . I highly doubt a 8 inch could handle that I would go with the 250-300 but I never had an 8 so I may be wrong.

I was planning on building a custom box to go under the 60 back seat. The is kind of the best option for putting a subwoofer in unless you want to pull of the things behind the back seat. The amp I was going to maybe put on the 40 side but I was going to wait till I had everything and maybe put the amp right behind the seats out of view. I didn't know about the 8 inch Kicker L7 with the RMS but I have read places that it will produce an take a true 450 RMS. I have also seen people putting close to 1000 RMS to them on youtube with the grain and everything turned down.

The kicker site says it will take 450 rms, and I'd venture a guess that if you are using a sealed box you could get away with even more than that without an issue at all.

I have some experience with the L7 12" but not with any other sizes. They were loud for sure, and stood up to the abuse my buddy gave them competing a few years ago.

I emailed the guy who sells the boxes on ebay and he said that they do handle the power. He normally puts the Kicker 400.1 mono amp to the Kicker 8L7. I think I will be fine with the Kicker IX 500.1 and just keeping the grain turned down.