Auto 4X4 - 07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
Quick question, I find on my ST the auto 4x4 kicks in quite easily. If I'm leaving a speed bump, hit a pot hole while accelerating or step on it a little too hard the 4x4 always kicks in. Is there a way to turn down the sensitivity? It's quite annoying. Especially how it stays on for 5K or so. I find if I hi 4HI and AUTO again it will disengage right away.

Not sure you can do that. That is one of the few things I don't like about the new ST's. I like to be able to put it into 4x4, when I think I need it. You are not alone on this happening. I've seen a few posts on this happening to others. Not sure if there was a fix (from the dealer) or if you just have to get used to it.;)

I hate that feature too. I love the '07, but it does seem that the system is too sensitive. Just another thing that auto manufacturers implement because they think that people are too dumb to learn to drive, so they take it out of our hands and rely on a dummy system in the computer. The RSC is probably the same way. I haven't been in a situation in which it has engaged yet, but being an experienced driver, I expect it would cause the ST to act unexpectidly.. does this make sense?? If the ST were to go into a slide for instance, I would expect to steer into it and use brake/gas to right the vehicle. With the RSC thing, I would probably have little input into what the ST does, with a "blind" computer making the decisions for me.

The first time the AWD kicked in I thought I had broken something. I was in my brothers yard in the winter helping him move some stuff...ground was frozen except for the top layer and it was mud.. gave a little gas (like you should) and the ST started to move and then there was a loud POP and the AWD engaged. My brother said the rear tire spun maybe 1/4 turn when it engaged... Yesterday pulling out of my neighborhood on dry pavement onto the 6 lane main road (speed limt 45, which really means about 70 apparently) I got on it and seriously thought something had broken in the front end. Teh sound echoed off the sound wall and right back into my window, but from what I hear this is normal operation for the AWD system... I really wish it was available with 4wd instead of fulltime AWD... (I would buy a AWD car for my wife though. It is better for someone else to think for her when she is behind the wheel :D )

I found out something interesting yesterday. This relates to the 4x4 auto function in that I didn't think I would be able to do a brakestand because I figured it would kick into 4wd and not let the rears turn by themselves, and also without an LSD I figured I would just get one tire to spin. Well when I do a brakestand both tires spin! I didn't burn them off much because I was afraid to waste too much tread. I did it once at my house yesterday and again tonight at in my sister's driveway.

I'm not sure if it's just the type of pavement or what, but I expected only one wheel to break loose, and maybe the 4wd auto only kicks in when moving? I would be happy to have an LSD but I'm sure it is not. Maybe it's the traction control evening the torque out and allowing both to spin? Just interesting...

maybe the 4wd auto only kicks in when moving

I don't think that is how the system is designed. If that was the case, it would not engage if you were coming from a standstill on snow or in mud..

You press the ~ button. Depending on pressing it once or holding it in, you can disable various levels of the traction control systems. There is a chart in the manual that explains what each "mode" of disablement does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the manual high and low, I found the chart on disabling different levels... Still doesnt disengage the auto 4WD. Just RSC, ESC, Engine Traction Control & Brake Traction Control. Not a big deal, just kind of annoying when it's 90 degrees outside and your 4WD is kicking in because of a pothole.

Rob A. / A1cntrlr:

I feel your pain. Such an annoyance. Some strange popping/grinding/grunting/thumping noises, as well. A few times I was sure that large heavy parts would start falling from the bottom of my ST... Believe it or not, the owners manual addresses all of this, including the strange noises! I feel better (I think)...

Thanks Gavin (he's correct!)

You can disable the ESC/RSC/Brake/Throttle controls, but only below 25 mph... I just went out and tried it myself. Start your ST; Press the button with the skidding car icon for > 5 seconds; it will blink at you twice. Now it is disengaged below 25mph. Kind of a cool compromise, as opposed to disengaging full time. This feature resets on shutdown and has to be repeated each time you start the vehicle (if you want the same feature).

Auto 4x4 must be disengaged when it sees the brakelights on. I can do powerbreaking burnouts with mine, but as soon as I take off the brake the auto 4x4 kicks in to spoil the fun.