Auxillary power source

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
I have not had my ST that long. I knew there was a power supply located in the bed of the truck, but had not thought about it. My wife saw it today and asked what it was. After I explained, she said "That cool, I guess, but what would you ever do with that?"

So...what can I do with that? I suppose I could charge my cell phone back there if the cab was too full, or plug the GPS in if I get a longer cord. I would actually like to have a little light since I have a cover. Are there any little gizmos to buy and plug in back there? Can you even leave something plugged in? Is there any use at all for this?

I have a cooler that runs off the 12 volt plug back there. Great for camping or tail gating:haveabeer:! You could plug in a power inverter and run a radio or coffee maker or whatever you want if the power inverter can handle it!

i used mine a few times, going camping.. once for a 12v light for the camp site, once to inflate an air mattress, and once for a small space heater for the tent..

(sometimes we have to make the women in our lives comfortable :banghead: )

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a jump box charging off of it for emergencies. could also us it for a heated blanket if you camp and sleep in the bed ( i have a freind who does that)

Backed up to the window under my office trailer once when the power went out, and ran a 12 volt extension cord from the bed to my converter, then to my computer. Gave me enough to finish what I was doing before the network battery backups went down. Wouldn't have reached to the dashboard.

Fridge, air pump, when we camp I plug the inverter into it and use it to power the lights in the tent.

On my old Trac that was more modded and worth showing, I would use the inverter in the bed to power a house fan aimed at us on hot days. Let the guys with the old GTO's try that. :grin:

When I take my wife out and when I used to date, we sould sometimes take a TV and DVD player, drive out to the desert somewhere and watch a movie in the bed of the truck on blankets or something. Comes in handy for that. Also running a corded spot light for the people in the bed of the truck to run their own spotlight when were out, while I run mine up front. (seems like I always forget to charge them and have to run them plugged in!)