Axle code 46

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Martin

Reaction score
I have an 04 4X4 ST, with an axle code of 46. Is this a 4.10 rear or a 3.73. I have an XLS with the 235/70/R16 Micehlin Cross Terrains as factory tires.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, anyone know how to get better MPG on these trucks? I am really disappointed. I got better mileage on a 9 passenger 350 V8 4X4 Suburban.

Axle codes:

46 — 3.73 non-limited slip

42 — 4.10 non-limited slip

D4 — 3.73 limited slip

D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Mike, Since your email Is what It is, i am guessing your in NY???

If so, the NY formulation of gas STINKS!!! I (before all my mods) was getting 15-17MPG driving like an old man.... The normal because of my driving habits was 12-14....

I took a trip to CT filled up there, got close to 19 MPG... Next tank of NY gas, Back down...

There are things you can do, intakes, XCAL, throttle bodies.

they are expensive, and they also increase performance, so yo need to learn to keep your foot out of it...

IF in NY I am in Suffolk county.

Todd Z

Change your plugs and wires, drop in K&N air filter, rip out air box silencer, get some smooth treaded highway all season tires instead of off-roads, and follow PEBSAA troubleshooting procedures.

I'm new to this site, what the heck is "XCAL" anyway. What do you suggest for plugs and wires. My Michelins are very street type tires and I have had great success with them on my other Explorer AWD. Will removing the airbox silencer give me a trouble code as far as the MAF sensor or other related stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm in central NJ. My highest MPG was 18+ just recently, but I hope to get much better than that. And I now know I have the 3.73 rear.

Latest posts