Back to the dealer again...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Knx

Reaction score
This is gettin' frustrating...quick!!!

P/U the ST yesterday after work and they told me they replaced the solenoid, valve body and put a new wiring harness in for the tranny...it had been slippin gears between 1-2 and 2-3.

Well, came straight home, about a mile or 2 from the dealers listening carefully for any unusual sounds or noticeable slip. Nothing! Went to work this morning and thought I heard some clattering sounds. Sure enough on my way home, I heard it very clearly while climbing a hill, each time I stepped on the xcelarator, I could hear this noise as though a loose nut(s) or something was inside a metal rolling ball is all I can likin' it too.

Called the dealer to let them know I'll be in 1st thing in the a.m. Any one have a clue as to what could be causing this, considering the work that has already been done?! Thanks.

D- :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Timing Chain Rattle??

Hmmmmm.... didn't think of that, kind of hard to pinpoint it while I'm driving. Stuck my head out the window couple times, but not the best way to drive!! Plus w/ my flowmaster it's hard to tell.

D-

I say timing chain rattle or detonation...

Todd Z

Thanks guys, at this rate I'll have an entirely new truck, mechanically anyway!! ;)

D-

I agree that it sounds like the infamous timing chain rattle. The odd part is that the timing chain tensioner problem was on the early 2001-2002 models and has not been a common problem on the later models??

...Rich

doble post , sorry. Just had the timing chain issue fixed at dealer. The best description of the noise is: at or between 2500-3000 rpm a faint rattle occures and then quits. It originates from the front of the Trac, a kind of a metalic rattle. I thought it was a failing tensioner and let er go until last week. Extended warrenty almost up, glad I brought it in. One of the members indicated the price around 1400 to get fixed, warrenty cost was 100. A few of the members have gone to a heavier weight oil and that seemed to patch it up, it seems the chain mechanism is tensioned hydraulically. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: