Bad day for the Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B 4

Reaction score
Driving home yesterday from Dinner, I pulled into the street and accelerated into traffic at a normal rate. Drive quite calmly to in the interest of Fuel Economy and age. When accelerating I heard a noise that sounded like a wet belt slipping under the hood. Noise went away quickly but a sweet smell started up. Wow did I bust a radiator hose or something? Well being a few blocks from the house and no smoke, steam, or percievable changes I kept going home. Just about a block from the house the temo gauge shot up and steam started pouring out the side of the hood. Pulled into driveway and opened hood to find the hose from the heater core to the t-stat housing had slipped off!!!!!!!. Driveway was soaked in AF and engine was covered in it to. Waited till this morning to allow it to cool for a washing and refill.

Has this happened to anyone else? The wife and I were just talking about going to Vegas so glas this happened here and not in the middle of BFE!!

never had a hose slip off, but something to check (hose clamps) everytime you check the oil & other fluids, etc. Since the serpentine belt got wet w/ AF, you might as well go ahead and put a new one on after cleaning the pulleys, etc, as the belt will probably continue to squeal. You can try cleaning the belt with something but no clue as to what.

Yeah you can check all you want, but Murphy's law says it will be the one you overlooked anyways. This is the first time I have had anything like this happen on any of my many vehicles I have owned.

I let the dealer service this one since my buddy is the service manager. Kind of weird to have a hose slip off but sure glad it did it in town and we did not depart on our trip.

Thats not what I would consider remotely a bad day for any trac. Could be too much pressure building up in the system.

Yeah I know things could have been worse. No one was hurt, except maybe the engine. Loss of fluids for cooling not a good thing. Did not go to far at all, but not sure if I can trust it as this was the vehicle used for long trips with the family. Hate to end up stranded with the family due to something like this again or as a result of this. May end up trading her in so watch for misc parts or sale.