Ball Joint! HELP!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodrodon Dykes

Reaction score
Ok, so I took the ST in the shop to have a "trip" check on it, to make sure everything is ok for the Louisville travel to the meet. Every thing is fine except the front brakes ( which I can do), but the guy also said that my Ball joints are bad and need to be replaced. I was quoted $950 to be done. but heres the thing, with the trip to the meet, that kind of money isnt in hand. I have some symptoms (bad wear in the inside of my tires.) and alignment is off. I just got brand new tires yesterday. and what I need to know is, will there already be wear on my new tires if I dont get my ball joints fixed, before this almost 2000 mile trip??? please help, and thanks in advanced.

Boodro

ball joints arent hard, I think to get balljoints/control arms was about 200.00 in parts or so. Cant quite remember. do you know anyone that could help you out... maybe someone at the meet can.....If you believe it will make it

I don't think the new tires will be affected much after the trip. I think you'll be fine to wait. On a side note, I just got my Trac back from the dealership today. The final total was $953.03 which included new rotors, brake pads, oil and filter change, state inspection, one ball joint replaced, brake fluid changed, and transmission service.

~$800.00 for lower ball joints and upper control arm assemblies (with ball joints), installed on my '01.

I think you'll be fine as well. A little wear, but nothing major.

Well I found out that they are the lower ball joints. As Ive read in here, those are the easy ones to replace. So, i have minimal tools, and im descent when working with stuff, but if im determined and have directions i can get it done. Is there a project on doing these. I think it was Caymen that said he did them easily. Caymen can you help me out. Thanks!

Boodro