Ball Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Having problems with steering wander, local shop says ball joints. Oh well, I have the parts, and I plan to replace the tie rod ends as well. Got the greasable kind, Moog I think. I have read Caymens post with Pix, and Chads project on half shaft removal. I just have a couple of questions.

How did you get the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint, and did you use a puller?

Is there enough space to pull the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint without disconnecting the upper ball joint?

Looks like you use a jack on the lower A arm to move it in relation to the steering knuckle.

Do you use a puller on the tie rod ends to remove them?

Any other hints or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I know Tom will chime in.,....

But when we did Paul's, we removed the ABS wire clips, tie rod and then removed the top ball joint and then the bottom.

We did not remove the axle nut or the shocks. It was slightly tighter but worked fine..

No puller is needed for the tie rods just a hammer will do the trick... The uppers are not to hard to get off if once you remove the bolt you spread the spindle slot with a big wedge, it will pop off easier...

And you will need a ball joint press to get the lowers out of the arm.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Gonna give er a go tomorrow. It will be cold up here in Minneapolis, so I want to get this done properly and quickly.

I think I have it. I assumed you removed the brake caliper assembly as well.

OBTW, do you know what the inner tie rod ends are? When I went to get the parts they wanted to know inner or outer, I assumed outer, Does the tie rod have two ball joint ends?

Thanks, this site is great.

Mike

The inner tie rods are connected to the rack and pinion steering unit. If you slide the boots back, you can check for play. Some units take an eceptionaly long deep sleeve special socket, to remove them.

I did not use any puller for the ball joints or tie rods ends. I use the trusted hammer technique, with the nut still on of course:D

Chad