BASEMENT FLOOR

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob moore 2

Reaction score
Want to do something with the basement floor to give it a better appearance. We use it mostly for the living room where we watch tv. im looking for the cheapest,easiest solution.

im thinking a cheap carpet and just tape it down. wife says paint it.

any ideals

For a small space in my basement I used self adhesive laminate tiles. I got them at Menards for around 19 cents a square foot. Pretty easy to put in.

Acid based concrete stain would probably be best. If the floor has never been sealed it will be super easy to stain, but if it has been sealed you will need to clean and etch the floor so the stain can penetrate the concrete. Another benefit is you don't have to worry about something spilling on the floor.

If you want the floor warmer go carpet... If spills and stains may be an issue, then you can paint/stain or self stick tiles.

With any concrete covering, you may have to prep it using cleaners and special sealers...

I would go with the carpet..

Todd Z

I would definately go with carpet and a good quality pad. Not only will it keep the floor warm, it would also make it sofeter to the feet and eliminate the hard surface echo since you're using it for home theater / entertainment purposes. If you are on a budget, I would then suggest a good berber carpet and glueing it to the floor. That would somewhat deaden the echo an keep it warmer.

The only problem with carpet on a basement floor is that it will absorb the ground moisture coming up through the cement. You will need to add a dehumidifier if you go with carpeting.

You may find Andy's suggestion a good one especially if you add a couple of "throw rugs".

Seal it with Dry lock paint first....

Use out door carpeting

Vapor barrier or rubber backed carpet...

Todd Z

I live in KS where a basement is a NECESSITY. Tornado alley and all...

Carpet DOES NOT absorb ground moisture!!! But I will agree that spring / summer begs the need for a de-humidifier. Just camoes with having a basement in general

The above suggestions are all good. I painted my floor then we used a foil-backed padding to keep any moisture out. If you have to cover a floor drain with carpet, buy a gallon of cheap vegetable oil to dump down the drain first. It will fill the trap to keep sewer gas out but won't evaporate like water.

I used epoxy on my garage floor and not only does it look good, it is very useful for spills. I would use that and afterwards put a clear coat over it for that showroom shine. Mine came as a 2 1/2 car garage with all prep materials for only $70 or so.