battery gague on dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha,

I jumped my wife's Jeep battery (very dead) the other day. The gauge on my dash didn't move. I would have thought that it would dip with the load of her car. I understand that the oil pressure gauge is just a switch, is the battery gauge the same?

Tks Ed

They are not that sensitive, They are more idiot gages then any thing.....

Todd Z

Ed,

The Battery gauge is a Volt Meter. As Todd Z said, they are not very sensitive and without any numbers it is not much more than an idiot light.

If you connected a jumper battery and saw no difference in voltage, I suspect that you battery is OK, but you just have a bad or corroded connection. It does not take much juice to power the gauge and get a reading, but a bad connection may not let enough amperageflow to crank the engine.

Check all your battery connections and also try moving your steering wheel up and down to see if you have the lack of slack in the steering column wiring harness that pulls the wires at the multi-switch connector in the steering column when the wheel is tilted. That caused intermittent starting problems with my Sport Trac.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, just an idiot light then. Ed

Latest posts