Battery light is on?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So my battery light started coming on for about 1 min after start up, I put a meter on the battery as it was running and it read 14.29 volts, which should be fine. Anyone have any thoughts? It is the orginal alternator with 140,000miles. Battery was replaced a few years ago.

First I would check to be sure all of the connections are clean and shiny. Even on the starter and ground strap. If that doesn't work, Sears can check the alternator for you.

Ed

if the alternator is bad get a re-manufactured one rather than a new one... they are just as good at half the price and usually come with a better warranty than a brand new one... i just replaced mine 2 months ago and it only cost me $90 after i got the core charge of $60 back... and i replaced it myself to save some money too... a shop would have charged somewhere in the $400 range

Ditto on Travis....It is very easy to remove and replace. One of the easiest I have had.

Edit; dont forget to remove the neg battery cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a single wire that hooks to the alt its a spade connector make sure it is connedted good clean it up that is what controls the light, as long as your battery voltage is good that should fix it..

Latest posts