Be on the lookout for small woodland animals building nests in your engine bay

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shovel? Man! I am just imagining that, and can see no humane way to kill a cat with a shovel. Even severing it's head with such a blunt object would have to hurt. Of course, death isn't always painless anyway for any of us. :(

Regarding the folks with nests under the hood -- you don't drive enough.

Me and my girlfriend went for a midnight snack in my truck. No nest. The next morning we went to Montgomery in her car (about 50 miles away) for the day, and out that night, also in her car. The next morning, I found the nest... I honestly don't mind because I just filled the tank up to the tune of $70 of my money, so if she wants to drive with her daddy's gas card, I'll let her.

I no longer make any unnecessary trips or go for a drive, just to drive. If I have to get something at the store, I wait until I absolutely need it and put it on a list and get everything at one time. I'm down to about 6 miles per day on days I don't work, and about 30 miles per day on days that I do work, and if I need to go to the store, I fit it in so that I go while I'm out, not get home, realize I need something, and go back out.

Regarding the folks with nests under the hood -- you don't drive enough

Yup. I don't drive the Sport Trac. Only on weekends if its sunny. I drive this daily..

5979e5d59252ae5bd744e494fa94a8fc.jpg

Nelson, responses to two of your comments:

Regarding the comment about nests under the hood being the result of not driving enough--short of driving 24/7, critters can climb into a vehicle at any time. My ST is driven at least twice daily, to work and back--and in the winter, if mice get into the garage, they'll head to a warm, seemingly-protected space like an air intake and form a nest in only an hour or two of a night if given the chance.

Regarding the comments about a shovel being inhumane--I've had to do that myself. (Not for a vehicle-related animal injury, but in other situations.) When an animal is critically injured and in pain, with no chance of recovery, the most humane thing to do is to end its suffering as quickly as possible. And if the best tool that is immediately available to accomplish this is a shovel, then that is as humane as it gets, regardless of whether you use the sharp side or the blunt side to land a fatal blow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I no longer make any unnecessary trips or go for a drive, just to drive. If I have to get something at the store, I wait until I absolutely need it and put it on a list and get everything at one time. I'm down to about 6 miles per day on days I don't work, and about 30 miles per day on days that I do work, and if I need to go to the store, I fit it in so that I go while I'm out, not get home, realize I need something, and go back out.

Hell i dont blame u at all

gas prices are friggin ridiculous. cant just go out on a joy ride no more. I loved just cruising around and stuff in the ST but cant really anymore.

I used to love driving around at night since it was so cool and then theres a spot on a bridge where i go to just sit, relax, and think as i watch the cars go by underneath.

its a back road, no one ever drives on it at night cuz of all the deer and stuff... hence why i chose it lol

:wacko:

Latest posts