Bed weight in snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
Putting this in the thank you category because I dont know where it fits, and this site is always full of great info.

I had a recent post regarding 4wd following a snow storm. While the replies were a little troubling in terms of peace of mind, they were exceptionally informative.

So, to follow up, how much weight is appropriate in the bed during slick conditions?

Sometimes it seems like I have put too much weight in the bed and it seems to make the front end want to "float" for lack of a better term. I have not done this in slick conditions, but I had a landscaping project where I might have carried a few too many bricks in the bed in order to avoid an extra trip.

Since I was having issues with my 4wd and I wanted to ensure that my daughter made it to kindergarten, I put 10 cinder blocks in the bed. I think this is around 250 pounds. This did make the front end feel a little soft, but not too bad and I really felt it made the rear traction improved.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this? I know 1500 is the listed max for bed weight, but is there a weight that improves traction but does not compromise steering?

I put three 70-pound tubes of sand in the front of the box. They fit perfectly between the wheel wells and work great.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have six 20kg bags of salt in the back. I also have a bed box full of things like washer fluid, booster cables and other emergency type things. I have no issues in the winter weather....mind you the 4x4 works on my truck.

Two or three bags is enough. I put sand bags in my old Ranger but the Trac carries enough weight over the rear wheels that I don't bother.

I have not needed any weight in my ST.. but when I had a Ranger I would use Patio Blocks.

the ones that are about 12 X 9 X 2

laid them on the bed so you still have full use of the bed..

I fill the bed with snow. It's free and when you don't need it anymore, it melts. No storing of sand bags or cinder blocks.

The problem with that is when it melts and refreezes. It starts sliding around and banging against the sides. The manager at the Dairy Queen didn't like it when I cleaned the ice out of my Ranchero in his parking lot one year. I had to do something. It was really sliding around and making a lot of noise. Besides, there wasn't that much, and I put it in a mud puddle in the gravel parking lot behind the building. It wasn't like anyone was going to walk in it.

Take your truck to a scale and weigh it, getting separate weights for both axles. Then add bed weight to get close to 50/50 weight split as you can.

I run two 50 lbs bags of sand and two 50 lbs bags of salt in the bed right at the tailgate. (2004 XLT 4x4) 200 lbs total is a very noticeable difference but I would like to add another 100 lbs to get closer to 50/50 weight ratio front/rear axles. The bags don't slide around and I have never noticed tail whip. (Unless I am gunning it and trying to do it intentionally around a corner for fun!) The bags run around $5 each at my local hardware store.