best allseasons for snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kaye

1st gen V6 4x2
Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
I have the cheap Pep Boys Futura Scrambler tires, they have generally treated me well, quiet ride on highway and do ok in mud. They've been OK in snow, though we haven't had much in Denver the last few years. Yesterday we had the first snow of the year (!) was fishtailing my way home from work in heavy traffic which was rather terrifying.. barely made it up the hills.
Reluctant to get dedicated snow tires since it will be warm and dry again by Tuesday, and suspect the snows will wear very fast in those conditions, which are normal for Denver these last several winters.
But I don't want another commute like that.. what do you like for allseason tires that are good in snow ?

Doug:
About 3800ft above you; very mild+dry December too, new 10inch snow here this morning.
Just came in from plowing 200ft Driveway & short stretch of CountyRd.
Have had various AllSeason(OE), AllTerrain, DedicatedSnow, & Mud+Snow\M+S tires on my 2001 ExST 4WD.
~ GoodYear AllSeason, forget model#
~ GoodYear PacemarkSnowTrakker
~ General GrabberAT2\M+S
~ WestLake SL368\M+S, current tires
Of above, the General tires have performed best in snow+ice; better than the SnowTrakkers.
Current WestLakes do okay, but clog up with slush easier than the Generals; they ARE slightly less aggressive.
Learned to prefer M+S rated tires, instead of Snow tires, on both the ExST and wifes EdgeAWD;
don't want hassle of swapping snow tires, M+S rated tires certainly wear better winter+summer.
I keep a large loaded tool box in back; does minimize fish tails.
Be aware, neat clean maintained vehicles are my preference; not into expensive tires\rims just for show.

Tire shops in Denver will try to sell you dedicated snow tires; that's more money for them.
Don't think you need that; aggressive M+S tires will get you just about anywhere you want to go,
though with rear 2WD, you need to think twice about driving in heavy snow or icy conditions.

2001.Ford_Rims_16i00Diam~7i000Wide~12mmOffSet~5Lugs@4i500Diam.GIF

2001.Ford_Tire2457016_2017@233kMile_090$~eBay+WalM+WestLake.SL369.GIF

2001.Ford_Tire2457016_2014@203kMile_115$~WalM+WalM+General.GrabberAT2.gif

Last edited:
i remember trying to get up wadsworth road for work, had to get a running start and hope no one gets in way, in wheatridge which is denver area, it was fun if no one else was on the roads at night. but slick as hell.

aggressive M+S tires will get you just about anywhere you want to go,
though with rear 2WD, you need to think twice about driving in heavy snow or icy conditions.

thanks.. these tires are M+S rated, but I know there's a lot of difference between tires with the same M+S rating..
we take my wife's MDX with good tires anytime we expect snow/ice or go up to the mountains.

I carry chains for the back roads and real bad ice/snow, but they are a bore to put on, drive on, and take off.. used to live in Sacramento with an Econoline RWD, the chains got us through some nasty winter roads in Yosemite and the Sierras. We gave away the Econoline but I kept those chains for more than a decade, until finally got the Sport Trac which fits the old chains ;-)

Bridgestone AT3, Nitto, Falken….

Toyo AT3 are awesome.... Check them out..