Best location to install XM tuner for "XM Ready" head unit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
I plan to purchase and install an Alpine CDA-9884 "XM Ready" head unit for my 2003 ST. To get the XM service working with this head unit, I need to purchase and install the Audiovox CNP2000UC Unversal XM Receiver/Tuner, which connects to the head unit via an additional wire harness (CNPALP1 Adapter). I couldn't find any guidance for this type installation by searching the projects and forum posts, so I though I would check with anyone that already has a similar installation on their ST.

My first question is this.... Where is the best location to install the CNP2000UC Unversal XM Receiver/Tuner? My first choice would be to locate it under the center console somewhere. My second choice would be to located it behind the glove compartment somewhere. My last and least favorite choice would be to locate it under the right front passenger seat. I expect that it can not be located furter from the head unit than the CNPALP1 wire harness would allow.

My second question is this... Can the XM antennae be affixed onto the front side of the rear view mirror and still get adequate reception. I understand that the XM antennae is best located on the roof (and wired throught the 3rd light fixture) but I thought I might give the rear view mirror installation a try if it works OK.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to put the antenna through the third brake light, I would think that you could try putting it on the mirror, and if it doesn't work, then you could always move it later.

How long is the wiring harness? My Panasonic unit has an external tuner with about a 15' cable to run that plugs into the CD changer input on the rear of the head unit. My tuner is located behind the passenger rear seat where there's plenty of room.

Mine is located on the passenger side, inside of the kick panel. Remove the glove box and it is easy to mount, antenna wire can be tracked in the channel under the passenger side door set panel.

I have not yet purchased CNPALP1 Adapter and other stuff, so I do not know how long the Adapter is. From the online photos I have seen, it looks like it would NOT be long enough to allow installation near the back seats.

I had hoped to first determine how I was going to install this stuff before spending the money and then finding out it won't fit or other problems. The possiblility of installing it in the kick panel sounds like another possibility, if there is not enough room under the center console or behind the glove box. Thanks for that idea.

If anyone else has an XM system installed using components like the Audiovox CNP2000US and CNPALP1 components, I would like to hear where your CNP2000UC Receiver/Tuner was installed.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have the Panasonic XM receiver and I installed it in the extra compartment behind the driver side rear seat. Wires were long enough to reach head unit and I have the antenna running through the brake light on the roof.