Big Bear ( Slightly bloody)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
Dropped the kids off at daycare this morning and my daycare provider told me about a bear her cousin or uncle hit with his combine north of Menonmie, WI. The bear was 7' tall (head to tail, not including legs) and the chest girth was around 6'. Field Dressed weight (618lbs -- no insides). It might be a state record. [Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bear,

I had to change the title a little....

Todd Z

Given the pose and the lady in the picture you might want to change the title again and add a "NSFW" (not safe for work). It almost looks like beastiality. ;)

TJR

LOL TJR !!! :lol:

It looks like she was holding the bear from moving on it leg while she was getting the ladder...

Or holding it sideways for the picture to be taken...

Todd Z

An absolutely beautiful animal.

Out of pure ignorance, and not judgment, but what do you do with a bear like that after it's shot?

Skin it, have a rug made from the hide, and then eat the meat. My brother got a bear on a hunting trip in Canada and he had a rug made, and then had bear jerky and sausage made from the meat. It was quite tasty.:p

For this bear, I don't know if you'd really have a rug, but more like Bear Carpeting for your living room!!:D

Todd, I guess I could've added that into the title too.

Hit the bear with a combine? Why did the bear not run away? Asleep maybe? Unless he used the combine to chase him down and cornered him. Or if it is a her, might have had a cub nearby and took on the threat..

Before I write my post, let me say this:

I'm not a hunter, but I can respect the sport and the love that hunters have for the animals they kill. I am in no way anti-hunting or anti-gun.

That being said its sad to see such a majestic creature reduced to this.

:( :( :(

I love nature, pure and simple, and find it difficult to take any life (besides insects, I f'in hate those bastards). I even feel bad for the toads I chop up with the lawnmower... I can't help but wish he only was able to catch a glimpse of this guy and let him live out his remaining years in the wilderness.

He sure was a beauty.

BTW: Anybody notice the bear's ear is about the same size as that lady's face ?! Imagine coming face to face with that thing in the wild :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun, I have to ditto your comment.

I respect it, but it also saddens me because it is such a beautiful and unique (because of its size) creature. There are always reasons to hunt, and subsequently kill an animal - and most hunters do so with the utmost respect for nature.

The reason I asked the question I did earlier is simply because some people kill for the glory of saying what they killed. If the animal is used for the betterment of the hunter, than I am perfectly fine with that.

My disclaimer: I was born and raised in the south. My father comes from along line of rednecks, and I was raised around hunting and fishing. I picked up fishing hardcore, and never could get into hunting (my own personal issues). I can shoot and kill an animal, but I wouldn't be able to dress it, therefore I do not deserve to hunt. The only animals I shoot now are the rats that eat out of the bird feeders in our jungle of a backyard. Non-domestic rats are dirty animals and only contribute to disease.

Jenn D, you are corect that there are resons to hunt. It is a population control tool. Man has hunted since the begining of man to feed his family. I realize nowadays you don't need to hunt to eat, but if there were no hunters, there would be an over abundance of animals. Take deer for example, you see how many cars hit deer every year, just imagine if there was no hunters, there would be a lot more crashes every year.

I worked with metro Canada Geese in MN for 3 years. Because there isn't a hunting season in the metropolitan area, the goose population has increased by thousands, most of these geese will migrate to the airport in the late summer/early fall causing a flight safety issue. These are 2 examples. Hunting is a form of population control and also is healthy (to a point) for the population of the animal as it lowers the disease spread through the herd.

Also Jenn, I do agree there are people that go out there to kill, these are not hunters. A true hunter will tell you they don't need to kill an animal everytime they go out. I will not hunt anything I will not eat. I personally don't like venison so I won't hunt deer, but I have no problem with deer hunters.

Also note that this bear was not hunted, it was hit w/ a combine while working the farmer's field.

Andy, I completely agree with population control. I know a lot of organizations cull animals and bring the meat to local homeless shelters, as well as other organizations. I think it's a great cause and it definitely helps with the overall safety of the surrounding communities. Overpopulation can cause sickness, disease, and in some extreme cases, genetic mutations.

I, in no way, an upset about the bear. As it was mentioned earlier, it was probably already sick or injured if it was killed by a combine. It would have died anyway. But regardless, it is a beautiful animal (dead or alive).

I'm not anti-hunting, I'm just anti-freezing-my-butt-off-in-the-woods.

Lotta deer around here. If I could hunt deer in June I'd be all over it. Thing is with less people here and less hunting in general, there are now too many and they get hit by cars and cause accidents.

I hit one last year with my son's car.

This bear wasn't hunted and shot, it was hit with a combine. Not any different than hitting a deer with a car IMO.

World record Black bear is 880 lbs.

Quit hunting mammals yrs ago, still hunt birds tho.

Was a very avid Fisherman at one time, till the state Of Calif took my license away for Life:(

Latest posts