Big??? Electrical problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikee03

Reaction score
Driving home from work and the OD does not kick in, all E-Way driving, push OD button does nothing,no light,nothing. Does the same the next A.M. Leaving that night truck turns over and fires does not stay running, played with it a bit got it to stay running very low rpm 150-200. Here's the thing, when powered up the speedo needle pegged itself at 120, rpms stayed the same, no reverse when put in gear. Crept along in drive but was really struggling. Left it at work that night,next morning go out to pull codes with a buddy and it starts right up, runs fine for about 5-6 min. then dies again. Codes showed shift solenoid failure but I'm pretty sure it's deeper than that. All ideas welcomed. Mike

Start with basics. How is the battery voltage? Terminals and cables clean? Sometimes Tracs have wild electrical issues when the battery is weak or failing.

Quick update...mechanic buddy just called, good news bad news, water is coming out of PCM after pulling it. In the process of drying out very slowly and keeping fingers crossed. Anybody have a good source for a replacement PCM if needed ? At least a whole lot of time was not needed going thru vehicle looking for a short, bad sensor or whatever.

New update, drying out actually worked, ST is running again, but OD still not working. Must have cooked the driver for shift solenoid & OD in PCM. Now looking for a used one.

Failure modes of Ford 5R55 transmissions are well known. You can find them on the internet and YouTube. Sounds like yours is ready for rebuild or replacement.

Last update-!!! It was the PCM module. Installed a new one Sat.. everything is good, OD working fine and check engine light out. Only thing that is not working correctly is my remote start, will have to dive into that in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike, Do you know how water got into the pcm? I think I have had the same issue. My tranny only produces codes when it is raining or the snow has melted.

Latest posts