Big tires and drive train

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P 5

Reaction score
Have a 2003 Sport trac XLT premo. Have a 410 rear with limited slip. Wanted to know if I went with bigger tired Lt 265 75/16. How would it effect the vehicle.(rear end ,mileage etc).Also does anyone here a whining noise with the same setup or is just geared so low? Thanx again. Paul

Also going to ask in wheel and tire section.

I've got the same setup and have had no problems so far. I've seen no difference in fuel economy and the handling is just fine (I've upgraded shocks and the rear sway bar). Just after I got the larger tires, I drove 2800 miles round trip to go to the Dallas meet, and had no problems at all.

[Broken External Image]:

I run 265/75's with 3.73 gears. :D It's a little slower out of the hole but not bad. Turns about 2000 rpm at about 75 mph. I allow for the speedo being 5 mph slow.

Paul - Yes; those are 265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. I'd suggest replacing the shocks first. The stock shocks really do not provide enough damping for the Sport Trac. If you are planning on doing the shackle-torsion twist lift to go along with the larger tires, then replacing the shocks is a must. Upgrading to the Explorer Express sway bar will improve handling but is not necessary.

Putting on the Monroe reflex then the tires. No lift kit of any kind. Was think of a BF Goodrich of some kind(have had good luck in the past with them) Uniroyal,Michelinetc. What did brands did you shop for Todd? Paul

I didn't really shop around much. I've had Michelins, Dunlops, Firestones (OEM on my 01 Trac), and Goodyears (OEM on my 04 Trac and 95 Explorer) in the past. I chose the REVO's based on feedback from this site and from other online reviews.