Bike Rack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Huffmire

Reaction score
I am considering putting this rack onto the tonneau cover. I was planning on drilling it right into the cover just in front of the fwd lock. I cannot find any racks that I can use. I dont want a hitch rack. but i want to have it on top of my cover. or something that will go across the cover from tie down to tie down. Ant other Ideas are welcome.

6ac2c0045d27796555fe614258633dbb.jpg

I screwed two of those down to a 2x4, cut it the width of the bed and painted it black. It fits neatly in the bed. There's actually an indention to hold it into place. (In the wheel well space between the cab and the wheel wells). I haven't figured a way to mount it on the cover just yet so I can use the bed space too. But I have a soft top, I just roll it back.

hey guys. I have a solution for both of you.

I have similar mounts (they are Yakima), but they are attached to a 1" x 1" square aluminum bar, which I then screwed to the top of the bed. I will get a better picture when my camera is recharged, but here is one for now:

[Broken External Image]:

The bikes' rear tires are resting on the plastic part of the tailgate.

I have to take the tonneau cover off in order to install the rack, but the bed is entirely empty and useable.

Oh yea, I have a very strong bungee cord that goes through the rear rims of the bikes and attaches to the tie down points inside the bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought four of the Thule rain gutter plates and mounted them in place of the bed-side tie down cleats. My rack mounts to those plates using the mid-height feet.

[Broken External Image]:

Being that I have absolutely NO storage space at home i have to leave the cover on. So i need some thing maybe like what TODD C has but for gen.II cleats. If that wouldnt work I would have to screw the mount directly into the cover:( and them sealing it with silicone, to retain its water seal.

more ideas please!!!!

Todd C, Do you think that those would work with the Gen II cleats? if so that would be Awsome

It might work with the Gen2 cleats. You'd have to grab a hex wrench and take one off to see. On the Gen 1 tracs, there is a metal piece inside the bed rail that the cleats screw into. It is free to slide around inside the bed rail, so you have to be careful not to lose it.

[Broken External Image]:

I'll have to see if I have any other pictures.

[Broken External Image]:

There was a gap between the plastic bed rail cap and the bed itself. I used a piece of rubber to fill the gap.

I put one of the bike fork mounts on the inside of the rear half of the factory tonneau cover. Open the rear cover and lay it on the front, then find your mounting position and drill for the two bolts located in the frame of the cover just a few inches from the center lock assembly.. I had to drill two access holes in order to hold the nuts and be able to retrieve them in case they loosen or get dropped (don't want to listen to two bolts tossing around forever then I drive). The panel seems to have enough support to withstand the added holes. Then the rear of the bike sits on the open tailgate; and it works with the bed extender either in the away or folded out position.

I usually remove my front tire of my bike and put behind the front seat along the rear floor, it fits just fine. The bed-mount is for a second bike or if I had passengers. The mount doesn't interfere with anything when the bed cover is closed, and actually helps from striking the lock assy when you put cargo inside.

Total cost: $22 for the mount (at most bike shops or online). Took about 20 minutes to do. Very easy. *See my member library for a few pics (the main one came out bad but you can see the basic idea)

I did a project on this a while back..

click my wrench, and you will see how I did it..

[Broken External Image]:

I also saw someone post about mounting the fork mount the roof cross bar on th eback. and a rear tire tray on a thule bar over the cover jut behind the back window

well i do have a roof rack that I used for my car, that i dont use any more. I could try and see what i can do with that. I dont thing it will work but it is worth trying. and the roof thing is going to be hard seeing that i dont have any roof rails. another idea is i can take the old Q towers from from My Yakima roof rack, heat them up and straiten them out and drill some holes into the plate and remove to 2 front cleats and replace them with the Q towers. hmmmmmm i might just give that a try.

With My Project there is no mod to the ST.. only the Thule Roof Rack.

i have had 200 Lbs of stuff on the rack. and it worked great. only a little bounce.

the 200 Lbs was moving 2 6 foot tall 16" racks for computer gear. All broken down.

Latest posts